30

The next day was weary

The next day was weary. Amelia had spent most of the afternoon and evening outside, wandering the grounds of the Sanctuary. It was a gloomy evening, the sky reflecting the mood that had been left after Negan walked away from Amelia. The surprise she felt at the sincerity in his voice at her accusations left her stunned. He couldnt have been that upset at her accusations, considering the way he disposed of people. Negan and the Saviors were brutal monsters who accepted nothing other than submission. But it raised the question -----

Was that how the people in the Sanctuary saw Alexandria?

Amelia had been among her thoughts all morning, staying mostly inside. The threat of rain left everyone but the market workers inside by the comfort of a book or other work needing to be done. Amelia hadnt seen Sean at all, and her waiting around in the sitting quarters grew tiresome. There were only so many times a person could read through To Kill a Mockingbird. Giving up on waiting for a distraction to come to her, Amelia decided to look for one herself. Despite her stay, she had yet to explore the entirety of the grounds the Sanctuary sat on, especially the main building. At first, she was afraid to, but now Amelia hadn't found anything to truly be intimidated by other than maybe Simon.

The hallways were musky and dark. The deeper into the building she got, the more moist the walls seemed to become.

There weren't any signs pointing to what was where, and maneuvering grew to be a difficult task. The woman found a knot build a little in her stomach when the light from the ceiling turned dim for the few feet it took to get to the next crooked fixture. Amelia wondered where exactly the halls were leading her.

Soon enough, the soft hum of music in the distance began to make itself present. Amelia paused in her tracks. She strained her ears to listen for the ringing sound of singing and a tune carrying itself as an echo. She waited, eyes closed and patient. There couldn't have been any dorms down here, could there? Who would be able to tolerate the smell? The dank? Amelia began walking again.

After a few more yards, the dim lighting presented the silhouette of a caged door at the end of the hall. Intrigued as to what would be on the other side, she crept forward. The music came to be a little louder, but Amelia resisted the nervous urge to call out.

To her surprise, the gate opened without a key. Amelia peered around, not expecting to find another series of hallways. There was more light here, and windows too. They were close to the ceiling. She must have wandered to the other side of the basement.

Amelia softly closed the gate behind her and began walking down the corridor, still following the muted tune. Each door mirroring one another along the hallway had a large steel door with a window gap close to eye level. At the first door, her face was met with the mangled and fleshy skull of a walker. She let out a gasp of surprise as she lurked backwards. It ground and gargled, but remained behind the door.

After another door, Amelia saw a man sitting against the corner of the room inside. He was still alive, but he kept quite. A chain held his leg to the floor. This must have been where the Sanctuary held hostages. Amelia's stomach churned as she imagined what would have happened if she had been thrown in here instead of the luck that presented itself as Negan's favor. Still, she kept walking.