25

Sean's hands were shoved mindlessly into the pockets of his jeans, his bare arms shining slightly from the sweat of previous labor

Sean's hands were shoved mindlessly into the pockets of his jeans, his bare arms shining slightly from the sweat of previous labor. His skin, like most of the other men, was tanned and grimy. Even though his exterior was rough, Amelia didn't feel intimidated or frightened in the slightest. That was the major difference between Sean and Negan.

The two walked for what felt like miles. The sanctuary went on as Amelia and Sean walked along the stretch of brick and chain that separated them from the outside world. Birds chirped overhead in the sun, leaving the atmosphere casual and almost cheery.

The dirt path the two were walking on lay winding ahead before curving towards a chain-link portion of the fence. Amelia stopped walking as if to question where exactly they were headed. Sean took a few more steps before turning to look at the girl.

"It's just beyond here." He assured her. Amelia gave a concentrated look before cautiously walking forward again. Sean offered her a soft smile, running a hand through his hair. "What, do you think I'd drag you out here to kill you?"

"I don't know, maybe." She chuckled as he pushed a gap in the fence apart enough for the girl to squeeze through.

"Right, because I've always wanted to be Negan's prized princess. I'm a jealous bastard, Amelia. You've been warned." He teased, ducking under and following.

They were now in a clearing by a wooded area. The path was still there, winding around a corner until it was just out of view. Sean began walking again, and Amelia followed him closely.

They walked a little while longer until Amelia saw where the path led. A spring from the woods sat nearly untouched, a small stream trickling into the pool from the far side. Amelia even saw a butterfly flit across the trees. She was in awe.

"Woah." Was all she said as her eyes wandered the clearing. Sean bounced on the balls of his feet for a second, waiting for her to say something else.

"It's nice, yeah?" He asked with a grin. Amelia chuckled in disbelief, nodding. Since the apocalypse, she hadn't seen anything even near how serene this place was. The water was crystal clear in front of her, almost beckoning for a swim. She only sat on the rocks, still staring at the place.

"How did you find this place?" She asked, now turning to face her friend. Sean shrugged, taking a seat next to her.

"I was on patrol near the west side a few months ago, came across this place. I come here to clear my head sometimes." He paused, taking a deep breath. His eyes scanned across the spring. "I figured you could use a break from everything. It kind of sucks, you know, being here against your will I guess." Sean told her. She smiled to herself.

"Thank you." She said softly. "I think I needed a break too." The duo sat in a comfortable silence for a while, taking in the scene. Sun trickled through the trees, illuminating the water before them. It was beautiful. "For a while, I thought hiding away would help me. I thought that maybe if I just denied all of this for long enough, it would go away. Maybe I could just wish it all away and wake up in my old room back on the farm." She shrugged, looking at her knees.