Chapter 7 - "My Sister"

Chapter 7
"My Sister"
Sang Sorenson

It had been days. Father was always home now, his work probably let him take some days off because his wife died. I've barely left the attic space, only leaving to go to the bathroom, take a shower, or grab more food and water. I had brought a pillow and blanket inside so I could be a little more comfortable.

The attic door opened. I looked over and saw my father's face.

"Sang, I'm going to work today. Marie's in her room. If you do need to come out, be careful and don't make any noise. I'll be back tonight," he said before slamming the door closed.

I listened and heard him leave. The radio in Marie's room was on so I decided to crawl out. I knocked on her bedroom door before going inside.

"Marie?" I whispered.

I saw her laying on the bed on her side, her back facing me. She didn't say anything so I came closer. I sat on the edge of the mattress and took in her red eyes as she silently cried.

I leaned over and gently wiped the tears away. She looked up at me and sniffed.

"Why did you do it?" Marie asked me, her voice breaking.

I sighed. "Because that's what sisters do."

"Sisters," Marie whispered, her eyebrows furrowing. "But I've been so awful to you. I just watched as Mom beat you and I didn't do anything to stop it. I would call you such foul names and look down on you. How could you think to do such a thing? You risked your life."

"I know," I said. "But we're sisters, although we haven't acted like it. Deep down, I know you're a good person. You've just been hurt and you've been in pain for far too long. I understood that you had to take it out on someone, even if it was me."

Marie balled her hands into fists. "I blamed you for ruining my parents' marriage. I thought that you were the reason dad wasn't around anymore and mom was so mean. Our family was never going to be like everyone else's and I think that broke something inside me. You're right, I'm in so much pain and I hurt you because of it. I'm so sorry, Sang. Please forgive me."

She sobbed, her hands covering her face. I pulled her forward and into my arms. We rocked side to side as she cried and I whispered that it was okay.

She calmed down enough to say, "I don't know if we'll ever be sisters-- real sisters. But I want you to know that things are going to be different now. I'm gonna try to be the good person that you can see. I'm done with being angry, I just need to accept what's happened and move on."

"Then that's what you'll do," I rubbed her back softly.

"I hope that you can do the same, Sang," Marie sat up. "I want you to be happy and to have the family you deserve. You've be abused for so long, longer than anyone should have to suffer. Always hiding and never living, you need to set yourself free. Dad can't keep you locked away forever. Someone's going to find you eventually and he can't stop that."

She was right. Someone had already found me and no doubt they would be back. Mr. Toma would probably question me on what happened to my stepmother and I wouldn't be able to lie. But there was this fear; a fear that prevented me from wishing for someone to come and take me away from here. My whole life I had been taught to be afraid of the outside world and from existing in it. What would happen once people realized that I was here? What would it feel like to be real? I had read plenty of books on the adventures of other people's lives, but it wasn't mine. My life was riddled with horror and danger. If I ever tried to leave, Father would track me down and bring me back. He couldn't let anyone know about me and I was sure he would do anything to stop that. He might even kill me to prevent it.

"I don't know, Marie," I said, shaking my head. "That might not be in my future. I think I was doomed from the start. This is how it will end for me. But it doesn't have to be that way for you. You can get away and lead a better life filled with joy. Don't let anything stop you from achieving your dreams. You have everything waiting for you out there. I have nothing, I am nothing and no one. You can have it all, Marie. And I want you to. Promise me you'll take it when you get the chance. Promise me."

Marie sniffed and said, "Okay, I promise. I will, Sang, I will. You have to do the same though because I believe there is something or someone out there waiting for you. We can both take our chances and run."

My heart fluttered at the suggestion, but I knew she was wrong. I wouldn't have a chance out there.

Marie groaned, standing up. "I can't stay in this house any longer. I hate it so much. I'm going down the street to a friend's house, she said I could come over whenever I wanted to. I'll be back before dad. Stay safe, sis."

With that, she left and I remained where I was. I smiled as I thought about our conversation.

After all this time, I finally had my sister.