Chapter 3 - "He's Lying"

Chapter 3
"He's Lying"
Axel Toma

Detective Jones and I went into the kitchen where John and Marie Sorenson were sitting at the table. Marie was staring down into her lap where she was wringing her hands. Mr. Sorenson was leaning his elbow on the table and rubbing his face.

"Mr. and Ms. Sorenson?" They both looked up at us. "I'm Detective Jones and this is my associate, Mr. Toma. Would you please explain what happened here tonight in your own words?"

Marie glanced up at her father, and I detected a small amount of fear in her eyes. She appeared nervous and scared, I couldn't be sure of what though. It could be because she didn't want to go through the traumatizing event again or that she was lying about something and didn't want to get caught.

"I only just got home right when the shot was fired. I saw someone ducking out of the window, but he was already gone," Mr. Sorenson said. I couldn't read much emotion on his face, mostly because he didn't seem as upset as his daughter was.

"You didn't see his face or anything?" Jones asked, trying to get any details that could help us.

Mr. Sorenson shook his head. "Just his back. He was wearing all black, but that's all that I caught. It all happened so fast, I just got to my wife as soon as I could."

I turned to Marie and asked, "I believe you were in the house during the assault, correct, Ms. Sorenson?"

The girl flinched slightly before nodding and answering, "Yes, I was. Please call me Marie."

"Can you tell us what happened, Marie? Take your time," I assured her. 

"Um," Marie cleared her throat, "I was upstairs in my room. I had been texting on my phone when I heard something downstairs. A sound... like a thud. I didn't think much about it, I thought maybe it was my mom. Then there was a gunfire... and she was... I found her lying there..." A tear slipped down her cheek; she harshly wiped it away. She didn't look up from her lap as she told us.

"Was that after the first or the second shot you heard that you went downstairs?" Jones clarified.

"What?" Marie lifted her head, furrowing her eyebrows as she came out of a daze.

"Your neighbor said that she heard at least three gunshots," Jones told her.

"Oh, I guess I got to the living room after the second or third. I wasn't really paying attention, I was so panicked," she fumbled over her words.

Mr. Sorenson laid a hand on his daughter's shoulder. "Neither of us saw or heard anything that could help. I'm sorry, I really want you to find this guy, but we don't know anything."

My expression might have been blank, but inside, my mind was reeling. Marie was definitely lying about something, and her father was trying to cover for both of them. These two didn't want anyone to know what really happened tonight, but I couldn't figure out why. Unless one of them killed Dianne, I saw no evidence of what else they could be hiding.

"Alright well, here's my number. If either of you can think of anything else, please give me a call," Jones handed him a slip of paper.

Mr. Sorenson put it in his pocket and said, "We will, thank you."

Jones turned to go, but I had to ask one more question. There was something nagging me that I needed an explanation for.