Chapter 4 - "The Meeting"

Chapter 4
"The Meeting"
Dakota Lee

Both mine and the Toma team were sitting around the living room of the Taylor household. Uncle was gone for the day, working at the diner. All of them were in their own conversations with a couple others as we waited for Mr. Blackbourne and Dr. Green to get here.

It was two days after Dianne Sorenson's murder. Mom and Jessica had been in a state of shock and horror that night; it took a while for me to finally convince them to go to sleep. It had been a surprise for Nathan and me as well. I would never have expected for a homicide to happen in that household. The Sorensons had appeared to be the same normal, boring family as anyone else.

When Axel had said that Mr. Sorenson was suspected of helping the Serpents gang in distributing JH-14, I knew my brothers would want to get involved in the Toma team's mission. We had been disappointed that we hadn't been able to find the source of the drug after we managed to close down Ashley Waters last year.

A door slammed closed. Everyone ceased talking and watched as Mr. Blackbourne and Dr. Green enter the living room. Doc sat down on the couch while Mr. B stayed standing. I straightened in my seat, getting ready for the meeting to finally start.

Axel came to Mr. Blackbourne's side and said,"Now that we're all here, let's begin."

"Agreed," Mr. B said. "Mr. Toma, please inform everyone about what transpired a couple nights ago at the Sorenson house."

Axel nodded. "I had gotten a call from Detective Andrew Jones. He told me there had been a homicide at John Sorenson's house. Jones knew that he was one of my team's suspects dealing with the Serpent gang. I went there and took a look at the crime scene. What I found didn't add up with what Sorenson and his daughter claimed happened that night. Too many details and things missing, I believe they are lying about Dianne Sorenson's murder. Yesterday, Jones emailed me a copy of the autopsy and it appears that she died of a gunshot wound in the chest, it nicked her aorta. She bled out in seconds. From what the neighbors say, there was three shots that were fired, but Jones confirmed that they only found two bullets, one from the body and the other from the wall. Kota's mother, Erica, says that she saw a blonde girl running out of the house and into the woods a few minutes after the gunshots. We don't have any descriptions or anything relating to the girl, she's a complete mystery. Except that Sorenson and his daughter didn't mention her or claimed that the murderer was a woman. Whatever they're lying about, I believe that it has something to do with her and whatever they're hiding in their house. The evidence doesn't complete their story."

"Do you believe this was a hit by the gang? The Serpents were trying to kill Sorenson and his family?" I asked, thinking over what he told us.

"Could be possible," Brandon replied. "But we can't know for sure until we investigate further."

"This could be the break we need in order to catch him," Marc continued. "We figure out who the mystery girl is and we find whatever Sorenson's hiding. We need to have access to all his records and have constant surveillance on him."

North grunted. "If you find this girl, she might be able to tell you exactly what happened and why Sorenson is trying so hard to keep it from everyone. She might even be a Serpent."

"What else do we know about Dianne Sorenson?" Doc asked.

"From the medical records, I was able to find that she was sick with cancer for the last five years. She went through massive amounts of treatments, went to several different doctors, but nothing had any effect. She wasn't going to get better, it was only a matter of time before she died," Corey told him.

"I saw the pill bottles on her nightstand. She might have been mixing them up and taking an unhealthy amount without the supervision of her husband. It didn't appear that they had a very happy marriage, Mr. Sorenson was always working and going on trips. Marie is a teenage girl, she probably was too absorbed in her own world to think about what her mother was going through," Axel shrugged, his face a blank mask that rivaled against Mr. B's.

"Is it possible that she was trying to commit suicide and her husband was trying to stop her? There could've been a struggle and the gun went off a couple times before she died?" Gabe suggested, eyebrows raised.

"That still wouldn't account for the third bullet being missing or the girl," Mr. Blackbourne shot that idea down quickly. He was right though, all the facts didn't add up in any way we put it, there was too much for this to be a simple breaking and entering gone wrong.

"There has been something that's been bothering me though," Axel muttered before raising his voice. "The guest bedroom. Every other room in the house has expensive furniture and was placed with symmetry and perfection. But that bedroom was bare and empty with old furnishings and faded wallpaper. And there was something about the bookshelf. Sorenson said that nothing had been changed since the movers put everything inside, but there were drag marks underneath the bookshelf. I think someone moved it to cover something on the wall. We need to take a closer look and find out. The police cleared out of the house this morning and are going to inform Sorenson in an hour. He should get back there by this afternoon."

Mr. Blackbourne glanced into each of our eyes and all of my team seemed to come to a decision. Mr. B turned back to Axel and said, "Mr. Toma, we would like to offer you our assistance in your mission."

Axel nodded as well as his team. "Thank you, it would be greatly appreciated. Between the fourteen of us, I believe we can take down Sorenson and stop the drugs."

"Very well then. Mr. Lee, Mr. Griffin, and Mr. Taylor Senior can go with you to search through Mr. Sorenson's house and the rest of us can stay here and find out what we can about him. We'll meet again and come up with a plan to watch Mr. Sorenson together," Mr. Blackbourne stated sternly.

Axel nodded again in agreement, signaling the end of the meeting.