Chapter Thirty-One

After the meeting adjourned, Liam was trying to make his way back to his dorm room, only to be stopped by the one person he didn't want to see. Lauren. He averted his eyes, hoping it would show her just how much he didn't want to talk to her.

"Liam, I would love the chance to be able to sit down and talk to you," she told him softly, reaching out to touch his elbow lightly.

He pulled his elbow back, almost like her touch burned him. "Right now is not the time," he bit out as coldly as he could.

"There's never a good time for you," she argued. "All I want is a chance to explain my side of things. There are always two sides to every story, Liam. I think you owe me that much."

He finally looked at her, really looked at her, and he felt remorse for the way he was treating the woman had given birth to him. After dealing with Richard, he knew that he could change things in his life. He didn't have to be a bastard to everyone. He didn't want to be a bastard to everyone. Maybe this was his chance to alter the way their relationship had been for so long. Being with Denise had changed everything. He would never allow Drew to talk to his mother the way he talked to Lauren. Purposely, he softened his voice.

"Look, right now seriously isn't a good time." Did he tell his mom he was in a hurry to get back to his dorm and get laid? He needed to be with Denise more than he could breathe at this moment, he needed to prove to himself that everything was okay and they were going to make it. "But how about tomorrow or even later on tonight. I promise you, I will make time. We will talk."

"That's all I'm asking for. You can even have that woman you care for so much with you, if you want. If she's the reason for your change of heart, then I want her there. You've changed, and it's for the better," she told him, her blue eyes the mirror image of his.

"We'll see," he relented. "I'll come find you. I promise, Mom."

Tears came to her eyes. He hadn't called her Mom since she'd left. Even as a six-year-old, he'd called her Lauren. "I'll hold you to that."

He took a minute to put his hand in hers and give it a gentle squeeze. Not for false hope, but because he actually did have hope this time. Maybe things would change and they could move on.

It took him a while, but when he finally got back to his dorm, he opened the door only to find Denise nowhere in sight. He didn't think she had left, there was still a presence in the room.

"Denise?" he called out.

"In here," he heard her from the bathroom.

As he got to the bathroom, he heard the shower running. Sick of waiting, he began disrobing. He'd be damned if he would let anyone interrupt them this time. Thinking better of it, he turned around and flipped the lock on the bedroom door before all but running for the bathroom.

He stepped in the shower behind Denise and circled his arms around her body.

"I was beginning to think you forgot about me," she grumbled good-naturedly before turning under the spray so that they could face one another.

"I'd never forget about this," he whispered as he leaned in to nip at her lips with his.

The look on his face was so serious it gave her goose bumps. There was no hint of joking around or taking any of this lightly. Not that there would be any of that this deep in the game, but she still had trouble believing that this was real even after the events from earlier. Their relationship was in the infant stages, and she was learning so much about him. It was hard to recognize the facets of the man in front of her. He was happy-go-lucky at times, chill and laid back at others, but sometimes he was so serious that it scared her. Needing to feel close to him, she shoved her fingers through his hair and pulled his mouth down to hers. His hands came around her backside and cupped her ass, using his leverage to pick her up. On instinct, she wrapped her legs around his waist, moaning as she came into contact with the evidence of his arousal.