Chapter Twenty-Six

"As alone as we can be with a clubhouse full of people around," she quipped.

"I wish we were completely alone. Just you, me, and the kids. I don't want all this other stuff, I don't need it right now. It stresses me out," he admitted. His eyes were jumpy and darted back and forth between her and the door.

Understanding dawned on her when she realized this was his coping mechanism. He wanted to bury himself in her life to escape from his. Not deal with his Mom or any of the drama that whole situation brought. She had to get his mind on something else. Sex would never be the answer to any of their problems. "Besides, before we get some alone time I need to check on my kids, and I want to check on Meredith."

He groaned, knowing that she was right. They each had responsibilities, and it wouldn't do to throw them to the wayside. After seeing his mother, he felt vulnerable. He hadn't been prepared to see her that soon, hadn't expected the anger that came so quickly. In retrospect he should have. He always seemed to see red where she was concerned, but he wished just once he felt some other type of emotion. He hated that was all that Denise saw when it came to him and the woman that birthed him. Denise was his strength and calming factor. Sighing, he ran his hands down her arms and clasped her hands. "I know. I'm sure there's work I could be doing too, but doing you would be so much more fun."

She giggled as she opened the door to the dorm room and then walked out. The look she threw back his way told him that she felt the same way.

"Do you have any idea where you're going?" he asked as he saw her stop and look both ways down the hall trying to figure out where she needed to go. Instead of asking, she turned back to him, held her hands up, and shook her head. "You're so cute," he told her, putting his hands on her hips.

She blushed. "You got me. I have absolutely no idea where I'm going. Can you show me where everyone is?"

He took her hand and directed them down the hallway. She loved walking with his hand in hers. She had never noticed it before, but he walked around like he owned the place. There was such an air about him, such a swagger of authority. Like he dared someone to come up to him and try to assert themselves over him. It was heady and she loved it. He made her feel protected at all times. Even now when she knew he was vulnerable with his kryptonite in the house. She had not one ounce of fear. She didn't have any doubts – he could handle anything that anyone threw at him.

"The kids will be in here," he indicated a door with their clasped hands. "This is where the kids usually sleep when we have lockdowns."

"Is a lockdown a normal part of life in the club?" She was genuinely curious.

"Would that change how you feel about this whole situation?" Liam hoped not. He liked their situation just as it was but knew she wanted a stable environment for her kids – and he did not begrudge her that.

She tilted her head and pulled her bottom lip between her teeth. "I don't think so. I mean I've already been shot at. My house was vandalized, and I've already broken the law for you. I think it's safe to say I'm already in pretty deep. I'm not goin' anywhere," she surprised him by winking.

Liam grinned, putting his hands around her waist and pulling her body so that they were flush with one another. He dropped his head and kissed her softly before pulling back and giving her the killer smile he seemed to reserve only for her. "I'm glad to know that. To answer your question we've only had about three lockdowns that I can remember since my dad founded this club. It's violent, don't get me wrong, but it's usually not this bad."

She cracked open the door, peeking in on her kids. She saw bunk beds taking up the walls, separated into boys and girls sides. All children appeared to be co-habitating well. She saw Mandy sitting at a laptop with another girl whose name she remembered was Layla. The two of them had taken to one another pretty quickly, and she had heard the name mentioned more than once. Drew sat at a table playing a card game with a group of boys. Feeling secure about where they were, she waved her fingers at her kids and turned back to him.