4. How strong my love is

( Writer note; This scene is pretty important to me as a writer, I kid you not every time this song comes on^^ I can picture this scene. Please play the song and think of the last dance with love one ) ♥️.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I drove to the Jones home, Mrs

I drove to the Jones home, Mrs. Jones is sitting on her patio on her rocking chair knitting away. My body urges to run up to her and hug her tightly but I know I would break her, shit now that I think about I'm surprised I didn't break Candy last night.

Being in the military I was in top shape, actually, I was a lot bigger than most soldiers. As Mrs. Jones notice me, tears of joy came down her face, "James oh My god I wonder all these years what happened to you. I heard all kinds of rumors but I knew my James was doing well."

I smile for the first time in days and lay a kiss on the top of her head, "Mrs. Jones, I did a tour in Afghanistan, thinking about returning to do another tour not sure but I needed to come home and find out why I never heard from anyone."
Mr. Jones pop his head out the screen door, "who are you talking to woman?"
I burst out laughing Mr. Jones seems like his usual grumpy self.
"It's James! His home!"

He notices me but the look at his face showed he was proud with a hint that he missed me, for the first time he hugs me. That man was not known to be a hugger or to shown affection but he hugged me.

"I knew you were safe, I just knew it!"
I smile back at him. They were like my family and I was grateful for them.
"Damn boy, what were they feeding you, you look like a linebacker."
I laugh I got that a lot, people thought I was a football player but maybe in the different lifetime.

I spend the whole afternoon with them and for the first time in days I felt peace.
But I knew an important conversation was going to come soon.
Sure enough, Mrs. Jones excuses herself and went into her room. I can hear an old record player in her room and Otis Redding 'Try a little tenderness' playing.

"Did you go visit your mama yet?"
I nodded "Yes Sir"

"Sorry son, I'm pretty sure it wasn't pleasant to see her like that"
I didn't know what to say.
"We tried helping her but she refused and once George was lock up she lost it."
I looked at him with confusion, "I don't know the whole story Mr. Jones, she didn't say much... but I know I want her out of that place its horrible."

"Well son, I hate to be a bearer of bad news but I guess I should tell you.
After you left, Clint was harassing the Johnsons. Everyone knew you were dating his daughter but no one bothered to tell him. It was that cousin of his that work from the old tire shop saw you two together. About a week after that, Teddy was caught with that boy from the trailer park and Clint beat that boy to death. George just had found out that he and Teddy weren't your daddies sons and shot Clint for killing Teddy. George is serving a life sentence for murder. Everything happened so fast. I'm a sorry son."

I didn't know what to say or do. The guilt from yesterday just made me feel worse. I wanted to cry and scream all at the same time. I sat there in confusion and pain. I know Mr. Jones notice my expression, "Look, son, this is not your fault don't you dare let this fall on your shoulders. Don't let what happened here affect you. You have a chance to start a new life. You go out there and start one. Follow your daddy footsteps."
I'm speechless, it's easier to say not to blame myself than to actually do it.

My next step is to visit George, I mean he was still my brother and I wasn't sure if he even knew what happened to me.
"Mr. Jones I plan to take my mama out of here, I was thinking if I didn't do another tour I would to move to Texas and start fresh."

He nods with an agreement, "James, son, you deserve to be happy and well your mama doesn't deserve your kindness, but I know you son, always been like your daddy with his heart in his sleeve. You would make your daddy proud. I want to say sorry about Keandra I know how much you love her but I know that you will find the happiness I can feel it in my bones."

I ask Mr. Jones if I can say goodbye to Mrs. Jones, he smiles and nodded.

I knock at her door, she was sitting knitting away, 'how strong my love is by Otis Redding' Is playing in the background.
I extend my arm out with a smile, she took my hand and we slow dance. It felt like time stood still in her arms, in her arms I felt safe and tears came flowing out from true pain. In my heart, she is my real mother. I felt something I didn't even feel from own biological mother. Unconditional Love and hope!

She gave me hope while we dance and I appreciate all the love she gave me. She looks up to wipe my tears and with her soft voice, "Son, don't you cry. We love you like if I gave birth to you. You turn out to be a great man; proud to call you my son. Just know that we will always be with you right here, you will find real love that will be your moon when the sun goes down."

She placed her hand on my heart and I held her hand in place as we slow dance. I couldn't stop tearing up and for the first time since I came back, I felt like she eased some of my pain. I heard interruption, "May I cut in?" I nodded . I took a step back look at them slow dance like they were teenagers in love. I want that, I want my own old lady to grow old with. They dance like if time just stood still, feeling their love they have for each other.

When I left I felt a little piece of my heart healing and now I need to go see Georgie upstate and leave. Finally, say goodbye to this godforsaken town.

 Finally, say goodbye to this godforsaken town