I knew before we even married that I was mostly an unwanted intrusion, but the King needed children and men could not have them.

It was not by pure chance that I was chosen as a part of the harem. As it turns out since my father was a trusted adviser of the old King he managed to whisper in his ear.

I had planned to be an artist; I had even planned to take a trip across the kingdom to paint every sight I could. I already made contacts in various kingdoms. My itinerary was already set, and my supplies were purchased.

Before I knew it, I was sent to the palace and made to marry the King and reside in his harem.

Thinking back on it now I should have escaped, but I was too dazzled by the idea. Despite my dreams being crushed, I figured it wouldn't be so bad to be in the harem. The king is stunning the harem is the same. I was enthralled with the thought of being surrounded by beautiful men in the palace of all places.

I thought I would be some treasured part of the harem and eventually become queen. Those thoughts were dashed immediately, and I lived in this lonely environment every day.

The palace was separated into two parts. At the very bottom is the capital city of Eve.

Eve surrounded the palace in a circle. The palace was tall. The main palace reached the city the entrance of this palace was right in the center. The main palace was large and pale white. It sat with four thin spires that spear into the sky on each corner. The second part of the palace was behind the first and further up. This portion was connected to the main palace by a long crystal bridge. This second portion is where the harem resides. It was built into the mountain that sat at the end of the city. Half of the structure hung above the city and the rest was built further into the mountain. This even left room for a large garden that decorated the courtyard.

I sighed as Grisha lightly tapped my shoulders. I let myself sink deep into the tub the soap from my hair washing away in the rose-scented water. I quickly emerged wiping the water from my eyes. The cool air hit me once again causing more bumps to appear on my skin.

"Have you finished m'lady?" Grisha asked

I nodded and waited until Grisha held out the robe to exit the tub.

I smiled at her as she steered me to the vanity that sat right outside the bathroom.

Grisha then gently combed my curls, applying different oils and creams.

"Grisha what did you want to be when you grew up?" I asked suddenly

Grisha being used to these inquiries did not even hesitate to answer.

"I want to be the best handmaid I can." She answered

"No you didn't, at least not originally," I argued.

"You are right, I was not entirely sure what I wanted to accomplish in life, but that was then and this is now," Grisha answered

"I want you to be happy Grisha." 

"I am happy mistress," 

"I wanted to be a painter, I still want to be a painter," 

"I know," Grisha answered as she vaguely gestured to the stack of paintings sitting in the corner of the room.

I stared at them willing them to burn to ashes, they just reminded me of the life I could no longer live.

"You paint so elegantly ma'am, there is no doubt you are a talented artist. Perhaps you can be an artist in the future." Grisha stated

"We both know that is not the case Grisha." 

"I know mistress." She stated sadly

After Grisha was done with my hair I sent her to bed. She insisted on helping me dress in my nightgown but I refused and sent her away.

It was deep into the night that I finally accepted that I was to get no sleep.

I climbed from the large warm bed and hissed as my feet hit the cold marble floor. I waited a few moments until my feet were used to the chilly ground before making my way to the door.

My room was the last one in the long hall leading to the King's chamber. Each concubine had a room that lined the hall.

The hall was dark save for a single lit lantern near my door. I grabbed it and turned to start for the kitchen when I heard a loud moan come from the end of the hall.

I froze in the middle of the hallway.

Of course, I knew what I was going to see before I saw it but my need to torture myself often overcame my common sense.

I made my way to the King's door, my feet padding softly on the marble.

The door was already slightly open, but I slowly inched the large wooden door open further.

Inside the king had a large open space that was littered with pillows and blankets and furs. A large fireplace was lit in the corner and in the middle sat eight men in a passionate embrace.

It was all too much for me, but I could not look away.

I stared at the king, beautiful as ever. His tanned skin was slick with sweat,his head thrown back revealing the smooth column of his neck. His thrusts were so harsh it seemed he was trying to pound Koren into the ground. Koren took every thrust moaning loudly and obscenely. The king's long slender hands gripped Koren's hips harshly. I could already see slight bruising starting to form.

Koren was buried in his arms head burrowing further and further with each thrust.

I knew they would all invade my dreams tonight. An unwanted presence in my unconscious. I decided I need not torture myself further and made to shut the door, but before I could the King's sharp eyes met mine. I was frozen for a second before quickly shutting the door and running off back to my room.

I did not sleep much that night, my dreams plagued my sinful desires.