~ The Bite - Part 2 ~

Start from the beginning

"Fine," he muttered, beginning to get back up from the gravelly floor of the roof. Unfortunately a foot came from beyond him and shoved him back to the ground with force. He grunted.

"Not a man of many words, I see," Nightwing said, raising his eyebrows. Then he shrugged, "I have a friend who doesn't say much either. Actions speak louder than words an' all."

The man growled deeply and it seemed to shake the gravel underneath him. Richard clenched his fists and sighed, struggling to get out from underneath the man's grip again. Maybe he should call for backup.

"You know, you aren't very good at this killing thin-"

The man let out a terrifying shout and launched himself forward, landing on top of Nightwing and digging his fingers in his shoulders. Nightwing, surprised, froze a moment and then struggled to break free, twisting and shoving, but the man was strong, for a skinny dude.

Suddenly, a sharp pain struck his neck and it shot up into the side of his head and down into his shoulders. His heart stopped beating for a moment and his eyes rolled back into his head.

The last thing he thought as darkness ensued, and he knew it was too late, was that perhaps he should have checked out the gunshot instead.

- now -

He was falling.

The wind whipped in his face and strands of hair got in his mouth and eyes.

From what he could see, it was forest all around and trees littered around in the distance. Looking down, a river flowed far down beyond him, and Nightwing was approaching the rushing water quickly. At this speed none of them would survive the fall.

With wind rushing through and between his fingers, he opened his hand and reached out to grab a moderately good sized piece of metal that was approaching him, and he closed his eyes.

Enveloped in sky and feeling the wind against him as he free fell, Nightwing became true to his name and he felt his fingers change, and his teeth sharpen. His back felt different and his eyes snapped open, feeling a heightened sense of sight and smell.

He used his strength, realizing that there was no time to be astonished by these new abilities, and used the metal as leverage to lift himself up and to kick off of, launching himself off to the side and towards his teammates.

Connor held M'Gann in his arms and had his teeth clenched together, ready to crash into the ground. He might be able to survive if he crashed into the trees, Nightwing noted. He had to calculate who he needed to grab first.

Falling faster than he expected, the young man didn't realize what had happened before he finally looked down to see he was rushing toward a falling Wally West, who somehow had taken hold of Bumblebee in his hands and near him was Beast Boy (who had fortunately regained his consciousness just in time to grab Blue Beetle before he hit the ground and turned into a somewhat green bald eagle). Nightwing reached out and grabbed them, hugging them to his chest just as he slammed against the tree and tumbled to the ground.

Groaning and rolling over onto the ground, he realized he had significantly grown in size and was actually an inch taller than before now. Oddly enough, Wally looked like a small Freshman in Highschool at this point rather than a college student.

Breathing heavily, he shook his head, trying to rid himself of the side effects of turning. He could hear the blood pumping in his best friends neck and it took all of his strength to keep himself at bay, to sit back for a moment before making sure Wally was alright.

The redhead groaned, scowling unconsciously as though he were under the power of some terrible nightmare, but by the looks of it, no physical injuries could be found. Nightwing sighed in relief, looking to bumblebee in his friend's hand, who was shaking her head and pushing herself out of his hold. She apparently hadn't seen Nightwing just yet.

With time slowly passing and the young hero gathering his wit, Nightwing felt his appearance change slightly, but not without realizing that there soon were eyes all on him and hearing his best friend fall back when he awoke.

Nightwing slowly looked around, finding Connor holding a somewhat unconscious M'Gann, looking at him with surprise. Beast Boy was staring with wide eyes and Blue Beetle was slowly coming to, realizing soon enough that everything was not as it seemed. Bumblebee stumbled back, falling on herself and onto the ground behind her with a gasp.

Wally had scrambled away, blinking repeatedly and stuttering, trying to speak but not having the words to do so. He didn't recognize this version of his friend. Nightwing knew nobody did. With fangs as long as toothpicks, nails sharp, and eyes that weren't the same color as before, who would recognize him?

He didn't even recognize himself.

A/N

I wanted to get this out soon and quickly, so there will be a 3rd part, don't worry. I wasn't very happy with what I explained for Nightwing when he got the powers, but I felt I shouldn't change it for whatever reason. Hope you all enjoy! It's definitely shorter than the last part, but I will most certainly draw out the end for part 3 if you guys want that.

Does that sound good? :)