Chapter 5 - "Behind The Bookshelf"

Start from the beginning

I was stock still in a state of shock and horror. My breaths left my lips in ragged gasps, stinging my chest and ribs.

Suddenly, the front door crashed closed again. The boy's eyes widened as he looked back, I presumed towards Mr. Toma, and motioned for him to go away with his hand. The attic door closed, but I didn't hear the bookshelf moving. It would mostly be too loud to drag it back, my father would hear it.

The boy faced me and opened his mouth to say something. I leaned over quickly and placed my hand over his lips, silencing him. I tilted my head and stared at the floor, listening.

"I'm gonna take care of this, Marie. Just keep your mouth shut and don't deviate from the story. Everything's going to be fine, we'll be fine," Father spoke.

"No, we won't be. Mom isn't," Marie said, stomping up the stairs.

Another slam told me that she was in her bedroom now. I could hear a chair sliding against the floor and a thud; Father was sitting at the kitchen table again. I looked back up at the mysterious boy, barely seeing him through the darkness. I had to get him out of here. Father couldn't find him or... I don't even know what would happen. I just know I didn't want anyone else dying.

We waited at least ten minutes more before I released the boy's mouth and slipped past him, crawling up to the door with the boy right on my heels. I pushed my body out and took the boy's hand, pulling him out into the hallway. I paused outside Marie's room and listened. She had to radio on and was shifting on what I assumed was her bed. She wouldn't be coming out anytime soon.

I dragged the boy to the staircase, but stopped and grabbed the back of his neck, pulling his head down to my height. I whispered softly in his ear, "Follow where I step."

I pulled back and he nodded, his brown eyes shining with understanding. I turned around without letting go of his hand, carefully climbing down the stairs while avoiding the creaks. He followed my feet exactly and didn't make a sound.

When we started around the corner into the living room, I pulled back sharply and lightly shoved the boy against the wall. Father must have moved because instead of the kitchen he was in the living room now. I placed my palm on the boy's chest and stared into his eyes. I mouthed the word "stay" and let go of his hand, moving into the room. I deliberately made noise so my father could hear my approach.

He spun, his eyes finding me. "Oh! Sang. You scared me. Why are you out of the attic?"

I licked my dry lips before whispering, "Marie let me out."

"Of course she did," Father nodded. "I'm sorry, I was just about to get you. Did you bandage up your injuries like I told you to?"

"Yes," I replied.

"Good. I'm not going to take you to the hospital so you're going to have to take care of it yourself. Do you understand me?" Father glared at me.

I winced slightly. "Yes. I won't let it get worse."

"You shouldn't be down here," Father sighed, shaking his head in frustration. "The police could come by anytime and I know that--that Mr. Toma man suspects something. We can't let anyone find you. You should stay in the attic space until I get this cleaned up. Only come out when you absolutely need to, I don't want any questions from the neighbors. Understood?"

I nodded. "Understood. May I get some food and water?"

"Yeah, you should take some upstairs with you too," Father grunted. "I'm going to go get the mail. Keep away from the windows and stay quiet. I'll be back in a minute."

I stayed where I was and waited until he left. I reached out and grabbed the boy's hand and guided him to the screened door that lead out into the backyard.

I pointed at the woods and said to him,"Go through the forest to the left, you'll go around to the other side of the cup-de-sac. You can go to the street from there and he will never know. Go now."

I was about to go back into the house, but wheeled around when the boy held fast to my hand.

His eyes searched mine for an answer I wasn't sure I could give. "Who are you?"

I paused, my mouth opening. I was always taught that I could never leave the house. No one could ever learn about my existence. But, in that moment, all I wanted was for someone to see me, to know that I was real.

"Sang, I'm Sang," I whispered to him before warning him. "He can never know you and your friends were here. Don't come back. You never saw me, I don't exist. Forget about me. Don't tell Mr. Toma I was in the attic, no one can know about me. Now, go before he returns."

I pushed on his shoulders before hurrying inside. I didn't look back, even when I wanted to so badly. I went into the kitchen and got as much food and water bottles as I could, carrying it up into my hiding place. It looks like Mr. Toma got the answer he wanted because I doubted the blond boy wouldn't tell him about me.

It seemed everyone was now aware of what was behind the bookshelf.