Chapter 4

'America, anybody. Help me.' A tear trails slowly down my cheek.

~~~~~~~

This is the end for me. At a CVS parking lot.

Wait. I have pens in my bag. I reach for the bag and unzip it. I begin searching around for a a pen or a pencil.

"What do you got there?" The man asks.

I panic and start to frantically search. I feel one and take it out.

He sees what I have and takes his hand off my mouth and instead reaches for my hand.

He screams in pain and drops me on the floor. I look and see that the dog from earlier has bitten down on the man's leg.

This is my chance to run. I zip my bag back up and run towards the entrance of CVS, picking up my iPod on the way.

I don't stop till I'm inside panting for air. I look back and see the man fighting with the dog. When the man shoves the dog away I scurry into the girls restroom.

I hear the doors slide open. He's in here.

I must be quiet. I can't even breath.

"Excuse me, but have you seen a little girl about, this tall? She's my niece and I can't help but worry she's hurt. You see, she's a little out of it sort of speak. She might not even know who she is right now."

That voice disgust me.

"No I haven't sorry, but I can check in the girls restroom for her,"

"That would be nice. Thank you,"

I go into the last stall and curl up in the corner. I know this person isn't him, but even if I try to tell them what happened they'll just think I'm his confused niece.

"Hello? Is anybody in here?"

I can hear footprints getting closer.

The door stall slowly opens. There's a woman that looks shocked to see me.

"Oh my. You shouldn't be on the floor. It's very dirty and who knows what has been on it." She helps me up.

"Your uncle is waiting for you just outside," she cooed.

I push away from her.

"No. That man is not my uncle. I'm not confused about who I am. I know who I am. That man lied to you. He followed me here and tried taking me in the parking lot."

"What where you doing all alone?"

I can't just tell her I came out here alone after dark without my parents knowing.

"Well. My dog needed some stuff so we were going to go to Walmart, but that man got me. My dog tried fighting him off, but he was no match for that guy,"

Okay if this sentence didn't make me sound out of it. I don't know what will.

"So that man is not your uncle?"

"No,"

She looked over at the door and back at me.

"Stay here."

I nod my head and she leaves.

I look at my iPod. It's cracked. How am I supposed to explain this to my dad? I put it in my pocket and wait.

The door opens and the lady from before walks in. I sigh in relief. She believed me.

"He just entered the restroom. He said he didn't feel well, so now is your chance. I'll take you to where you were going,"

"Thank you," I choked out trying my best not to cry in joy.