chapter three

After the happenings with the man's murder, and the whole window opening thing, I never slept correctly, as in the way I should've. I kept tossing and turning in, still in mind that I was with at the shop not too much before his murder on Monday night.

I never opened my eyes after what felt like eternity, after I heard the creak on my wooden floor, after I felt the hot breath on the nape of my neck.

But I did open my eyes after I felt the warm sun invade my closed eyelids. Then I was sure it was morning and would be foolish to trespass through a teenage girl's window.

It may be childish of me, but there is no shame in taking precautions, because after all, he could've just killed me and steal my possessions but I'd rather die without having my last memory of the person who murdered me.

A thought came into my mind, how would the man have felt before being killed? How was he killed?

And, the thought that disturbed me most, by who?

I came to the conclusion the murderer was waiting for me to finish my last shift, maybe even before he or she kept eyes on him. It could've been months before and no one had a single clue he would be killed.

It's brutal. Greendale had never been the most dangerous town, much less a town where a murderer is running loose. I can't help the feeling that maybe what happened with the window last night wasn't just a coincidence, but connected to the man's murder.

But how would I know? I'm just a kid.

Brushing my bangs back from my forehead, I step out of my comfy bed and step on the cold wooden floor. I walked out of my room, closing the door behind me.

"Glad, you're awake, bluer," My dad walked up the stairs, smiling happily. "Sleep well?"

I nodded. "Yeah, best sleep I had in weeks." I lie.

Telling my dad what happened would be selfish of me. Even now, almost twelve o'clock in the afternoon, he smiled through the bags under his eyes. He's been working a lot lately, covered his shift everyday and some days he would even cover night shifts.

He kissed my hair. "That's good, sweetie."

"Going to work?" I said, frowning.

He nodded and stretched his back, groaning in pain. "Yeah, this case still hasn't been cleared."

My dad works for the GPD - the Greendale's police department. He's one of the chiefs there, making his job less bearable.

"Okay, but remember you need to come home early today. Mom is on a business trip, remember?"

A look of realization crosses his face, "I forgot - I'm sorry, kiddo, but I have to work the night shift today too. Don't worry, your brother is making dinner today." He said.

I've heard that one before. But there is one detail he keeps forgetting, Mark is never around and if he is, he'll be stumbling through the front door - wasted. Since collage started, he's been partying and living the good life, without any thought about his little sister. Besides, I can babysit myself.

"Dad, I don't need Mark to do that, I can look after myself," I said. "I'm not a kid anymore."

He sighed. "I know, I know, I shouldn't be worrying. But your my little princess, and I can't help myself but do my best to protect her."