ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE

"Morning, Sophie." Odette called out as she stepped into Rousseau's, letting the swinging doors fall closed behind her. Sophie Deveraux's head popped up from the kitchen.

"Odette! It's you. Good morning."

The girl raised her eyebrows as she hung her jacket in the cloak room.

"Who did you expect it to be?"

"No one." Sophie answered too quickly. Odette had learned, over the year she had resided in New Orleans, not to push Sophie Deveraux into answering questions she didn't want to answer. So, instead of doing this, Odette shrugged and started to wipe off the tables with a smelly yellow rag. A familiar smell, is it not, the smell of an old sponge or washcloth, of something way too long not cleansed. It smelled like Odette felt, filled to the brim with sin.

"Did you know that someone else moved into the house across from mine?" Odette asked, paying little attention to her surroundings. Sophie stiffened at the notion.

"No, do tell." She lied, knowing very well that it was Klaus Mikaelson who had reclaimed his throne.

"I don't know. He played me music last night- and I don't think I've ever heard such a happy song sound so very sad."

Sophie's eyes grew into sauce platters, "you spoke to him?"

"Hardly, he told me his name and I told him mine." Sophie cut the head of a crop of lettuce with a little bit too much force, getting the knife stuck in the cutting board.

"And, what did you think?" was there a fear greater than something pure being tainted with sin?

"He seemed nice, though very sad. I wish I could have helped with something other than an already sad song." She rubbed circles into the now almost reflective table.

"You should stay away from Klaus Mikaelson, Odette."

She turned around quickly, "you know Klaus?" Odette could only just see part of Sophie's head through the kitchen door.

"No-" Sophie lied once more "-but I have heard of him. He's bad news, Odette."

Odette frowned, "don't you think that people who are bad news deserve a chance."

"I just meant-" the bell of Rousseau's door was triggered, signifying that someone had entered. It was never that busy there during the day hours, especially in the weekend.

"Good afternoon!" Odette's sweet smile reached the eyes of the man who had just enter the establishment. He was wearing an obviously fitted suit, his hair was slicked back and he walked with a confidence that impressed and frightened Odette.

"Is Sophie Deveraux here?" he asked, Odette thought this was quite impolite.

"Did your mother not teach you to greet people?"

The man shook his head, "No. In fact, she did not." This made Odette feel guilty about her snarky comment.

"Sophie is in the kitchen, who should I say is here to talk?"

"Elijah."

Odette laughed at this, "Elijah who?"

"Mikaelson."

A curious look took over the brunet's face, "Klaus's brother?"

Now the same look graced Elijah's face, he rolled up the sleeves of his suit jacket as he continued to stare at the girl.

"I live across the street!" her childlike excitement was infectious and it did draw many in. Elijah could see how this was possible, but he was too busy to concern himself with these things at the moment. As Odette saw that Elijah wasn't going to respond she looked at the floor and nodded.