Chapter Thirty-One || Together

"See the worst of me, and try to love me despite all the dark you find".

- Tyler Knott Gregson

Charlotte paced in her cell anxiously

Charlotte paced in her cell anxiously. She wanted to get out of there so bad. She was feeling so constricted in that small room. Anger was boiling inside of her and she pulled at the roots of her hair as if that could help ease the desperation inside of her. It didn't, though.

Suddenly, she heard the door unlocking and then it was opened all the way. Before she could step out to see what was going on, Jim Gordon walked in and grabbed her arms behind her back.

"What the hell?" She asked as she was dragged out of the room. "What do you think you're doing, Gordon?"

Once she was out of the room, she saw Lucius Fox holding Ed with an apprehensive look in his eyes.

"Charlotte!" Ed exclaimed as soon as he saw her. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, you?" She asked and he nodded, which brought her great relief. Then Charlotte turned to Jim and Lucius and raised an eyebrow. "What do you two want now?"

"Walk," Jim ordered and led them down the hallways of Arkham Asylum. "Do you two know how to get in Indian Hill?"

"And why should I tell you that?" Charlotte asked stubbornly. She wasn't going to tell anything to him until he explained what was going on and why he wanted to go there so urgently.

Jim huffed as they reached the place where the hidden elevator was. "Do you know or not?"

"Yes, of course, we know how!" Ed snapped impatiently. "But what is with all the hoo-ha? What is the rush here?"

The two former forensic detectives were finding it hard to get answers from Jim and Lucius. They seemed to be in a hurry to get in Indian Hill but didn't want to tell the reason. Charlotte felt like something was seriously wrong. Indian Hill was full of monsters, but at the moment, it seemed to be far beyond that.

"Just do it," Jim ordered.

Ed sighed and decided to do as Jim told him to. He revealed the secret lock and pulled it out. Then he looked back at Jim with a smirk forming on his lips. "What do I get if I do it?"

"You get to live," Jim simply replied. Charlotte rolled her eyes but didn't complain.

"Fair enough," Ed nodded and got back to work on opening the secret passage. He created a few sparks on the cables connected to the lock and a robotic voice was heard saying the security system was deactivated.

Before the door could open all the way to reveal the elevator, Charlotte and Ed were grabbed by Jim and Lucius again and taken to Ed's cell, which was closest.

"Hey!" Charlotte exclaimed and watched with wide eyes as Lucius and Jim took off running to the elevator. "Gordon, come back here! Gordon!"

Charlotte huffed in frustration. A long time passed after that and Gordon didn't return to tell them what was going on. Something was really wrong. Not even one guard could be seen rooming through the hallways like they usually did.

"What's going on?" Ed asked, his voice echoing through the hallways. "Hello? Guys! What's going on? Hello!"

Charlotte shook her head in disbelief and went to sit on the bed. "They left us here. Those sons of bitches just left us here. I can't believe this".

Ed looked back at her feeling useless. He wanted to get her out of Arkham. She didn't belong in a place like that. She deserved so much more. And there was nothing he could do to help her out. He sat beside her and she layed down with her head on his lap.

"At least we are together," Ed said as he brushed her hair away from her eyes, trying to keep her calm. He didn't want the bipolar disorder to make her depressed and angry. He wanted to protect her from that at all costs.

"Yes," she replied appearing to be a little calmer. "At least we are together".

A comfortable silence followed as both of them kept wondering why Jim Gordon and Lucius Lox were acting so weird. Then Charlotte finally broke the silence with another question which was still bothering her.

"Strange never told us who actually runs Wayne Enterprises. It's still a-"

"Mystery," Ed interrupted. "Broken into a jigsaw puzzle. Wrapped in a conundrum. Hidden in a Chinese box. A riddle... Who runs Wayne Enterprises? Who runs Gotham?"

A smile appeared in the corner of Ed's lips as his eyes focused on the wall across from him. He needed the answer for that riddle and he wouldn't wait very long to have it. Like he had said many times before, he hated unanswered riddles.

Once he focused back on the present, Ed started stroking Charlotte's hair to make sure she was as calm as possible. She felt much better now thanks to his help, even if she was still worried about what was going on with Gordon, Lucius, and Indian Hill. She decided to try and rest. As long as she was with Ed, everything would be alright...

***

A/N: This was the last chapter of this story. I hope you all enjoyed it so far. A sequel will be coming soon :)

Love you, my lovelies <3