Chapter Fourteen || Gift

"I am terrified by this dark thing that sleeps in me."

- Sylvia Plath

Oswald hadn't wakened up yet and Ed had gone to work while Charlotte stayed with him

Oswald hadn't wakened up yet and Ed had gone to work while Charlotte stayed with him. Charlotte and Ed had not talked since she snapped at him about her feelings. She tried covering it up but she doubted he believed her. She had considered the option of walking out the door and just going home, but she didn't want to go without making sure Oswald was okay. Charlotte didn't know why she even cared about the sociopathic man, but the truth was that she did. Perhaps it was because of the fact he had lost his mother not too long ago.

The blonde woman had good memories of her own mother. She used to sing to her and tell her how she would find someone who would love her unconditionally. However, this person would never love her as much as her and Charlotte's father did. Charlotte never thought much about her mother's words, but since she fell in love with Edward Nygma she thought more and more about them. She thought her mother, Mrs. Joanne Bateman, was wrong. She would never find anyone who loved her like her parents loved each other.

Ed looked so different since he buried Kristen Kringle. He seemed much more confident and cared less about others. It made Charlotte feel sadder and she asked herself if he still cared about her at all.

The young forensic scientist sighed and leaned her head against the headboard of the bed. She was tired of that silence between them, but she didn't know what to say to make the situation better.

Perhaps what they both needed was space away from each other to think. Yes, that was probably it. They couldn't think straight with one another in the same room. While Ed was out, Charlotte finally had that sacred time. She was able to think more clearly.

Suddenly the door opened and a muffled noise coming from outside left Charlotte on high alert.

Ed walked in and dragged a man with a burlap sack over his head and duct tape around the area of his mouth. Charlotte looked at Ed for the first time that day and raised an eyebrow at him.

"Ed?" She called but he ignored her. Instead, he continued dragging the man and only released him in front of the bed. Then he went to get a chair and more duct tape to tie the man. Charlotte was confused out of her mind. "What are you doing?"

Ed finished tying the unknown man to the chair and finally looked up at her. "Oh, so now you're talking to me?"

She was surprised with the question. It wasn't like he had spoken to her either. Anger started forming inside of Charlotte and she tried hard to control it before she said something she would regret later.

"Yes, I'm talking to you," Charlotte answered and eyed the man on the chair. "Who's that?"

"His name is Leonard," Ed told her positioning his hands on top of the man's head. He panicked and let out some muffled screams.