Chapter 7: Getting thing's Done

Chapter edited by LunarAquarius

As I finished getting ready for whatever Tanner had planned today, I glanced at my reflection in the mirror, and it frightened me.

Big, puffy bags rested beneath my eyes--a sign that I had not gotten a good night's sleep for some time. Not only that, the clothes that used to fit me now hung loosely on my waist.

My hair was as waves of pure earth, softly reflecting the light of the sun; each strand moving freely in an ocean born breeze, a compliment to my stillness.

With eyes of river waters, in glossy serenity, my aura seeped into the summer air between me.

Dixie came into the room. "Uncle Tanner said that if you want anything to eat, you might want to hurry because we're leaving in thirty minutes."

"Well then, it seems Uncle Tanner has made great plans for the day," I said.

As Dixie and I entered the kitchen, a rich, invigorating aroma hit us, tempting our tummies. Bacon sizzled in a pan. Eggs fried in a skillet. On one plate, hot cakes oozed with butter, and maple syrup. Cups of fresh orange juice circled the table.

All of this for us. I missed things like this when Tanner was back home in Arizona, but only when he was on leave with the Marines. As I had Dixie sit at the kitchen table, Tanner turned from the stove with a plate of warm hot cakes for the children.

"Mmm, Uncle Tanner are those for us? I have missed your pancakes," Layne said as he bounced, waiting for his hot cakes.

"Yes sir, these are for yourself and your sisters. Do you want strawberries and whipped cream?" he said, setting the plates in front of the children.

Exchanging glances between the kids and Tanner, I couldn't help but think to myself, how in the world did I get a best friend like Tanner? A growl from my stomach broke my train of thought. As if on cue, Tanner handed me a plate of eggs, bacon, and toast. As I picked at my food, Tanner sat on a chair next to me, with a plate on his own.

"You know, Letty, if you don't eat, you're not going to have the energy to take care of your kids or yourself for that matter."

"I know. I don't feel hungry as usual. Ever since you told me Jace is searching for us, I've been worrying about what's going to happen if he finds us."

"Well, I will take care of it if he does, but for now, you need to eat so we can go get the girls registered for school, get you a membership to the gym and get some groceries for the house." Tanner finished his plate.

"You're right. I want things to be better." I ate some food.

"Momma, are we going to the school where we can get registered?" Marcie said.

"Yes we are, but I don't know where we are going to first. We will see when we get going," I said, finishing my meal.

As I grabbed and put the plates from the kids into the sink, Tanner came and took them from me, suggesting I should get the kids ready. I did so when there was a commotion at the door.

As I went to check what was going on in the hallway, yelling erupted throughout the apartment, more than likely from Derek.