Chapter 1: Moving

"Dixie can you take this up please, sweetheart?" I asked, passing her a small bag of clothing.

She nodded with a bright smile and carried what little we had up the sidewall to the building.

I heard a small cry come from behind and I quickly twirl around. Layne was on the ground with his contents of his Mickey mouse backpack spilling onto the ground. Oh no, my baby.

I quickly closed the back hatch to the Suburban and ran over to Layne. As I reached Layne, a woman ran out of the apartment building and noticed Layne with tears streaming down his face.

"Hey is this little man okay?" she asked as she soothed him.

"Y-y-yes. I am," Layne whimpered as he was wiping his small brown eyes.

"Thank you so much for helping him. I was trying to get the rest of our things so we could go and put them in the apartment. By the way, my name is Letty Williams," I announced as I was making sure that Layne was okay and that his sisters, Dixie and Marcie, were with me.

We both shook hands and nodded. "It's nice to meet you. I was waiting for your arrival. My mother is the manager of the apartments, so she let me know that you were planning on being here today. Let me show you where your apartment is. You are next to Sergeant Derek O'Connell, apartment two hundred and fifty. My name is Alexis Harding, but people call me Lexi," she proclaimed as we stepped into the elevator.

Her light brown hair was just above her broad shoulders. She was wearing bright red lipstick and packed on foundation. Her face was a bit too orange, but She was rather pretty.

"I am going to have to put these bags into the apartment and then we are going to head to the store to get some essentials," I voiced as I checked on Layne.

I stared into space, reflecting on the events that lead us here when the elevator reached our floor with a ding. As the doors opened, a gentleman stood by waiting. I assumed was Sergeant Derek O'Connell, our neighbor.

Compared to him, I was small, he was extremely tall with broad shoulders. His nose didn't sit right as if it had been broken and did not mend back together right. Tan in complexion and defined muscles indicated that he spends a majority of his day outdoors. His white T-shirt stuck out his toned abs. He was quite handsome.

As we stepped out of the elevator, Lexi stopped my children and I from moving down the hallway so that she could introduce us to the man.

"Derek, these are your new neighbors. They arrived a little while ago," Lexi disclosed.

I know that I didn't want to talk to another male but it should be ride of me if I didn't introduce myself or my children. I still just distance myself from having so much to do with the people around me.

"Hello. My name is Letty. This little guy right here is Layne. Next to him is his sister, Marcie. This young lady right here is the oldest, her name is Dixie," I provided, grabbing Layne's hand to my side.

"It's nice to meet you all. My name is Derek. If you ever need anything, come and get me, okay?" he smiled, extending his hand.

I took his hand in mine, with great pressure he shook it. He had one hell of a grip. "It was nice to meet you, but I need to get my children and their belongings to the apartment. Thanks for that offer though, I'll keep it in mind," I expressed.

As Derek got into the elevator, Lexi and I headed down the hallway, my eyes swayed into the details of this place. The tiny diamonds sparkled in the carpet and the pale pink walls. It must have been expensive, but Tanner did it anyway, and for that, I was grateful.

Tanner and I had discussed the issues of the relationship one day and told me, that if I stayed, I was going to do something that I would regret. He also stated that I had to do something for the children and myself. That right there is when you know you have a good friend. I had to leave some great friends back home, for the safety of my family. Tears streamed on my face as I reflected in what had happened in the past week.

"Mommy, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" Layne asked.

"Baby, I am fine. Just a little overwhelmed," I sighed.

We came to a teal door with the numbers 'two hundred fifty' etched on it.

"Are you guys ready to see where we are going to be staying?" I said.

"Yes, Momma," they squealed jumping up and down.

"Momma, Uncle Tanner said he was going to fly here before our arrival and get some things for the apartment," Dixie said.

"He never said anything to me about doing that. Did he say what he was going to be getting?" I said to Dixie.

Dixie fidgeted with her bags. "Nope. That's all he told me."

It was as if you could feel the difference in the children with this place, compared to being with their abusive father. That was when I turned to Lexi with one of the biggest smiles on my face.

"Well thank you for doing that for us, Lexi. If we need anything can I find you in the lobby?" I asked as I put the bags that I had in my hands by the front door.

"Yes, ma'am. If you need anything, you can find me at the front desk, or you can knock on Derek's door and ask him. He usually leaves for post around six thirty in the morning and gets home around five in the afternoon."