Chapter 26: Foxes and Hounds

Adrian

The room was completely destroyed. Junk was spread out all over the floor. Things were either torn up or shattered into pieces.

"Looks like a bunch of animals battled for scraps in here." Adrian commented as he avoided blood spatters that caked the floor. They were sprayed in patterns from broken veins or arteries. 'Not a lot of blood that might lead to surgery but they are gonna need medical attention.' Adrian thought.

He and Cody arrived to the apartment before the police did. Emily was hyperventilating with Marcella comforting her. They both had injuries that revealed that there was a struggle. The look on Cody's face when he took in their injuries actually scared Adrian.

Waiting at the entrance of the room, Adrian watched as Cody took in the place. He was staring at the bloodstained knife that seemed to have skin stuck to the blade. The look on Cody's face was clouded. A gruesome look that showed such monsters underneath his face.

"If this is Michaela's blood, she might be unconscious from her injuries." Cody said gloomily. He ushers Adrian out of the room and shut the door behind himself. "We don't know that. Michaela takes self defense classes, she might have injured Willow as well." Adrian said, trying to lighten the mood. The glare Cody gave him shut him up immediately.

When they returned to the living room, the police were there. Including Aaric.

'Are you kidding me!? He's a damn homicide detective!' Adrian screamed mentally. Normally, he would ignore the fact that the Egyptian man keeps butting into his business. But now, this is just ridiculous. Even Aaric had an incredulous look when he saw the two.

"I'm going for a walk. Maybe I'll find some evidence on the way." Cody said coldly, avoiding eye contact with Aaric. He pats Emily's shoulder. "I promise we'll find Michaela." he said sincerely before leaving.

Adrian didn't follow after Cody at first. He instead remains beside Emily. "Emily, is it okay if I ask you some questions? I may not be a detective but I think talking to an old friend can help." he said with feigned warmness. His emotions for Michaela, Sarah, and Cody may be real, but Emily is just any person out there.

"Nighte, you handle dead bodies. Not the living." Aaric snapped.

The warm demeanor Adrian had disappeared almost instantly. He cuts his eyes toward Aaric and glared at him. "That maybe so, but I know Emily because the girl that was taken is my friend!" Adrian said. "So go ahead, get what you need while my friend and Cody's mother is who knows where!" Adrian yelled.

All eyes were on Adrian from his outburst. He always controls his anger when in public but not now. This was too serious to pretend being someone else.

Giving Emily another pat on the shoulder, he leaves the apartment to follow after Cody. He didn't pay attention to the looks he was given. But he did pay attention to the female officer who was taking care of Marcella. The woman was trying to keep the dog company but the dog wouldn't pay attention.

Marcella smiled when she saw Adrian. Her tail thumped against the floor in excitement. Adrian smiles back at the senior pit bull and decides to take the dog. "I'll take her off your hands. I'm a friend of the . . . kidnapped." he said awkwardly before taking the leash. He left the officer with a perplexed look on her face as he left with Marcella.

He looked around the yard, ignoring the crowded streets filled with police cruisers and curious bystanders. There was already a news van. 'My own murders had more publicity.' Adrian thought as he finally finds Cody. The boy was sitting at the driveway, staring at his phone.

"Cody? What are you doing?" Adrian asked worriedly. Beside him, Marcella trots up to Cody and licks his ear. She made excited whimpering noises, begging for his attention.

Suddenly, Cody bolts upwards into a standing position. He startled both Marcella and Adrian as they both jumped in surprise. "I found her!" he all but yelled. Spinning around on his heel, Cody thrusts his phone in Adrian's face. "I found her!" he repeated. "What?" Adrian said dumbly as he tried to see what was on Cody's phone, but he was moving too fast.

"I noticed that Michaela's car was gone so I began to think that Willow must've taken Michaela's car. Michaela has a habit of leaving her phone in her car. So if Willow did take her car than that means I can track them with the Find Friends app." Cody explained excitedly. "I did just that and Michaela's location is in the very neighborhood that we thought might be Willow's hiding place!"

Adrian smiled at his partner. It's been a long time since he's seen Cody actually smile. He even missed the sarcastic ones. "That's great. Let's head back to my apartment and grab my tools and we'll head there." Adrian said as he grabs Cody's arm to lead him to the street. "No!" Cody exclaimed as he pulls away. "We don't have time. Michaela and Sarah have a time limit on their lives right now!"

With that being said, Cody took off down the road with Marcella in tow. "Seriously!" Adrian said in exasperation. He ran his fingers through his hair in annoyance before chasing after the two. 'Honestly, my life was simpler before I met Cody.'