Chapter 19: Mother Sarah

Willow

The rain pelted lightly against her body as she waited patiently. She didn't mind the cold that was creeping up her skin and down to her core. Her stepfather sometimes kept her outside as punishment when the weather was awful. Now she had thick skin when it came to the cold.

The house that she was looking at was small, two stories maybe. Brown paint with a white rooftop. A small porch made of white painted wood with a swing attached at the right end. The place was very beautiful and homey.

Willow didn't see any neighbors so she had to make it quick. She hiked up the steps as she takes out two bobby-pins from her coat. Before she started her lock-picking, she checks the windows for any sign of anyone inside. There wasn't a car out front but she can't be too sure. She peers through the windows, seeing a kitchen in one window and a living room through the other. With no sign of person from where she could see, she began working.

She taught herself how to pick locks after her stepfather began locking her doors and windows to keep her in the house. Teaching herself to use simple objects was tough but gave her an upper hand. With a simple twist of the bobby-pins, she hears the click of the lock and pushes it open.

Entering a house without invitation felt more exciting than she thought. She doesn't enter the house just yet until she listened closely. There were no sound of footsteps or voices. No one was home.

Willow takes in a deep breath before she fully enters the house. Her footsteps were light and careful. If there is anyone inside, she can't have anyone hear her. She steps into the living room and began her search. It wasn't like she was looking for anything specific. She just needed something of his that'll make everything easier.

There were magazines and coasters on the coffee table but nothing interesting. She noticed some picture frames on a mantelpiece and checks them closely. The first photo she sees is a picture of a freaking lizard. "They own an iguana?" Willow asked herself aloud. What threw her off even more about the picture is that it had a birthday hat on. Glancing at the picture one last time, she then looks at the other ones.

The third picture is what catches her attention. There were two people posing for the shot. One of them was the police officer Cody Winters when he was younger and the other was an older yet young woman. She was obviously not the mother but doesn't even look like a relative. They didn't look alike at all.

'From what I could get out of Emily, Cody was adopted but didn't tell me why. I can't ask Michaela anything because she's acting too weird around me. She might be catching onto me.' Willow thought as she finishes looking at the pictures and began walking upstairs.

There were a few creaks in the wood that alerted her presence. Still nothing revealed itself. She takes a random guess and heads down the left side of the hallway. Listening closely, Willow checks the first door and was met with a small bathroom. The next door she opened was to a bedroom.

The room was decent; cream colored walls with pictures of animals or people. A queen sized bed pressed against the far wall facing the door with a dresser standing to the opposite wall. 'This must be that woman's room.' Willow concluded as she began riffling the dresser and closet. She didn't know what she was trying to find but kept searching.

A scuttle sound suddenly echoes through the silent house. It came as quick taps in a fast rhythm. Willow froze in horror as she expects the woman of the house to walk into her room. She begins to panic, searching for a hiding place. Time was shortening fast and she couldn't think straight.

Before she could find a place to hide, the door she kept ajar opened up very slowly. Willow froze completely as she expected someone to speak. But when no one spoke, she became confused. She turns around but saw no one. Then she looks down.

Right at her feet was the lizard itself. And it was bigger than she imagined. It was three feet long, had scales colored a dark green with black tips surrounding its throat, long claws edge outwards from its feet, and its tail was at least another foot long. The creature stared up at her with lazy eyes and seemingly disinterest.

"Hello," Willow said, rather scared. "Were you in a tank or are you allowed to roam free?" she asked, as if expecting the lizard to speak. The last thing she was expecting was the thing to suddenly turn around and smack her ankles with its tail. "Gah!" Willow cried as she jumped in the air. The creature opens its mouth to show sharp teeth and lunges at her to try and bite her feet.

The lizard repeated its attacks and made Willow jump around to avoid its teeth and tail. She resorted to jumping onto the woman's bed. Only that didn't help because the iguana began to climb up the bed in pursuit.

"Heel! Heel!" Willow yelled at it as she jumps off the bed and ran out of the bedroom. But when she threw the door open and steps out, she finds herself standing in front of a woman. She had short brown hair that reached her shoulders, soft white skin that matched Willow's, and she wore a black chef's outfit.

Surprise appeared on the older woman's face when she caught sight of Willow. "Who are you?!" she demanded in fright. "Shit." Willow growled.