#19 BB, It Doesn't Work Like That! [Modern AU]

A/N I couldn't find a picture I liked better so you guys get the bonus life tip it contains 😁

Poe stood behind the swing and gently pushed the small boy who giggled in delight. Poe had always wanted kidskids, or at least one kid. He was 32 now though and still hadn't met the right woman for him. He didn't want to wait any longer, so he adopted.

He researched, and researched, and researched exactly what he needed to be to qualify as an adoptive parent, and he quickly prepared. He got in contact with several different adoption agencies, and the one he likes the most also happened to be the one that got him through the process the fastest.

Then finally one day he found himself walking through an orphanage, to meet the child that had caught his heart with only a picture.

He had platinum blonde hair that was shimmering under the light. He was wearing a white shirt and orange shorts, both of which looked as if dirt had been hastily brushed off for the quick shot.

His name was Astro. The orphanage had named him because he was dropped in the door step as a baby. But Poe liked it. He liked everything about the little boy. And now he finally got to meet him!

Poe was so excited and nervous that he was having a little trouble breathing and had to force himself to calm down. He used a breathing technique he had learned as a pilot in the Air Force to slow his heart rate back to normal. Okay, now he was fine.

I'll be fine. He'll like me. Right? Ya. It'll be good!... I'll be fine. He told himself anxiously. They walked into an empty room labelled BB. It had 10 beds in it.

The worker with him stopped in the middle of the room. " they should bring him in any moment now." Smiling at the look that crossed Poe's face. Probably horror mixed with excitement.

Poe snapped out of his thoughts when the little boy called to him, "Higher daddy!"

Poe chuckled, "But your already going really really high buddy!" Poe grinned at his son. It still made his chest hurt when he said that. 'Ro' was his son. His son. The meaning behind that word just could not be expressed enough for Poe.

The first time he had met Ro, the child had been the most talkative 2 year old Poe had ever met. He couldn't stop talking about all his things. And especially his bunk number, BB-8.

The boy talked about his bunk number so much with so much pride, that Poe had given him the middle name BB.

All that had taken place 3 years ago. Ro was 5 now, and the cutest, happiest little boy ever. Though Poe was probably a little biased.

BB had asked to stop swinging and then jolted Poe out of his thoughts again, throwing him into a slight panic with a single question.

"Daddy, why don't I have a mommy?"

Poe 's brain froze for a second, being totally caught off guard. "What buddy?" Poe asked making sure he heard him right.

Astro asked again a little more forcefully, "Why don't I have a mommy? Everyone else does!"

Poe picked him up and took him over to an empty park bench, setting him on his knee. "You remember that I told you how I became your daddy, right bud?"

The little boy bobbed his head.

"Well," Poe continued, "I didn't have a wife then. If I ever find someone to be my wife, then she can be your mommy, okay?"

The boy thought about it for a second, his big dark eyes scrunched in deep thought. "Can you go find one now?"

Poe chuckled, "Oh buddy, it doesn't really work like that. I have to meet her first, and then I have to decide if I really like her that much."

"Then what?" The 5 year old prodded curiously.

Poe indulged him, "I guess then I would have to get her to like me back."

"How do you do that?"

Poe shook his head, this kid was to smart for his own good sometimes. He smiled, "I might give her flowers, maybe tell her she looks pretty. Nice things like that. Why do you want to know all this buddy?"

The boy suddenly jumped off Poe's lap. "Cause I want a mommy. I'm gonna go play now." And he ran off.

Poe called after him, "Be careful bud!"

Poe was watching him play in a sandbox with other little kids when he suddenly climbed out and grabbed a dandelion, rushing back over to Poe with it. "Daddy I found a flower! I'm gonna go find a mommy for you!" Then he rushed off again before Poe could react and headed straight for the busy sidewalk.

Poe got up and ran after him, "Wait buddy!" Man 5 year olds are really fast! "Come back here! That's not how this works!" and then he saw BB-8 stop a woman by tugging her hand.

She pulled out her headphones and kneeled down in front of him, "Hi kiddo, where-"

"I need a mommy and my daddy said that if he gave you flowers and said you look pretty that you would be my mommy." The crafty child spit out rapidly, and held up the tattered dandelion.

The woman laughed happily, "Where's you dad kiddo?"

BB turned around right as Poe jogged over. "Hey I'm really sorry about this, I tried to catch him but he's got a real pair of legs on him."

"Oh it's fine, I think he's sweet." The woman said with a smile, standing to be more level with Poe.

The boy tugged her hand again, and said very seriously. "This is my daddy. Daddy I told her we need a mommy, and I have her a flower and told her she's pretty, just like you said."

Poe laughed nervously and ran a hand through his hair, "uhh, ya, sorry I didn't tell him to say that to you, he was asking how to get a mommy and I said well, what he said... Just not necessarily about you... Not that your not pretty!" Poe facepalmed, and the woman chuckled. "Ya I'm just gonna stop now." Poe said with an apologetic smile and she laughed.

BB interupted with a pleading look, "Daddy pleeeaaaasssseeeeeee?" He bounced and folded his hands cutely.

Poe wasn't sure how to respond, his mouth opened and shut and he huffed nervously with a smile.

But the woman saved him, she ruffled his son's hair and smiled gorgeously, "Kiddo, I don't know about the mommy business quite yet but if your dad wants we can hang out for a little while?" She sent a questioning look Poe's way and he let out a breath he hadn't realized he had been holding.

"Yay!" BB hollered and grabbed Poe's hand with one of his much smaller ones and one of the woman's with his other.

Poe smiled at her gratefully, "Thank you."

2 years later Poe had to eat his words about things 'not working like that' when he stood at the alter watching that same woman, now dressed in white, walk down the aisle holding his little boys hand.

THE END

A\N

Hey guys! I would like to formally apologize for the killer amount of cuteness in this chapter. I am very sorry if any of you have died upon reading this.

Although as a fangirl myself I have discovered that we have more lives than cats sooooo...... Yep , sorry, not sorry.

BYE