Daybreak

Chapter fourteen

DAYBREAK

He stepped away from me. The flashlight was still pointed on his face. I tried to swallow my fear and think of something. Anything, that could help me. My mind came up blank.

"I don't expect you to understand, child." He said brightly, grinning all the while.

"You grew up with a family. You never knew what you were, until..now." He continued. Questions bombarded my mind at this. How the hell did he know so much about me?

"You never knew what it was like...being forced to repress your true nature for so long. So, so, so, long. One. Thousand. Years." His eyes flashed at this, and he turned to sneer at me. I involuntarily flinched.

"I remember the day I signed that bloody treaty. All those years ago. Vampires. We were gods. The forests were ours. The animals, the...humans." He whispered harshly.

"Then those Asija people showed up, bringing along their god, lyacon." He turned to face me again, fury clearly etched on his features in remembrance of what happened so long ago. Then suddenly, he smiled eerily.

"You know the story, Peyton Clarke. They've told you, haven't they? We were forced into hiding. Only allowed to feed on animals. Eventually, we left Deregu Falls. There was no point here anymore. Some of us took to the other towns, away from Deregu. Fed on those humans...you see, Peyton, they never included outsiders in the treaty.

However, some us..never wanted to leave. Some of us sat waiting and plotting our revenge on the Wolven kind. You see, an Unblossomed werewolf's blood is especially...vital, to a vampire. It gives us...power. A werewolf who has not yet shifted...when we drink their blood they give us their powers in a sense. They give us the ability to shape-shift into a creature of our choosing. Some vampires prefer bats, some of us prefer ravens. Some...dark creature of the night." He paused for a moment.

"This power allowed us vampires to rule. This power unblossomeds gave us. . .and so, the vampires who've missed their reign, stayed here in Deregu, hiding and waiting in the shadows. Reading the treaty over and over again. Trying to find some loophole. Eventually, we did." He chuckled darkly after this sending shivers down my spine.

"Just a few weeks before you came, the wolves have been finding bodies. Dead bodies, drained of blood. Not just any bodies, Peyton. Unblossomed bodies. They would appear, limbs strewn messily around, for the wolves to find. Our time is here, Peyton." He hissed, and in a flash, he leaped towards me and gripped my neck tightly, lifting me off the ground. My eyes widened in fear as I struggled to breathe. My arms and legs were bound so I was hanging only by my neck as he gripped it fiercely. Heart beating rapidly, he suddenly flung me across the room, like some playtoy.

Some object. I cried out in pain, achieving only a muffled sound since my mouth was wrapped with tape. My body fell harshly against the cave's floor as I winced. Closing my eyes, I tried to block out the pain when my head struck a wall. I could feel a warm liquid crawling down the back of my skull and I tensed up in fear. Oh no. Oh no. Oh my God, no.

It was blood. He could smell my blood.

I whimpered, as he approached me from the other side of the cave. If his eyes could possibly become any redder, they did. He walked with smooth grace, slowly, and carefully, towards me. His face was changing into a more primal expression.

Then he was there. Beside me. Sneering, he gripped my hair tightly. I winced at this again, as he brought his hand to the back of my skull, re-emerging with stained fingers. A shudder passed through me as I stared in horror. He brought his fingers to his lips, tasting my blood.