The Eyes

Chapter Five

The Eyes

I closed my eyes and waited for impact. Five...ten seconds passed and I felt...nothing. When I opened my eyes I almost had a heart attack. There, thrashing about with Zauraus was...a wolf!! It just came out of nowhere, I hadn't seen it approach. I went to scream, but Faye's palm immediately covered my mouth. I was transfixed by the scene before me. Well, what I could make of it.

At brief periods I made out the wolf but I hardly caught a glimpse of Zauraus. They were moving so freaking fast. Faye's hand stayed fixed to my mouth while I stared in complete and utter horror. What the hell...was going on? Between the blurred movements I heard harsh gnashing sounds, hisses and tormented yelps. Someone was going down. Someone was being hurt.

For some reason, I hoped the wolf was winning. Whoever Zauraus was...a chill ran down my spine. He wasn't human. Humans didn't look like that. Slowly...Faye removed her hand from my mouth. To my slight relief... the fight was over. I let out a sigh. Laid before me, body parts were shredded and strewn all across the forest floor. That guy Zauraus, wasn't only murdered by the wolf, he was ripped apart. I felt bile rise in my throat, along with the urge to vomit.

Oh my God. I felt totally sick.

Faye leaped out from behind the safety of the bush we were hidden in and both she and the wolf began to pile the body parts together in a heap. Like how you would pile wood for a bonfire. Then to my amazement, they burned him. They burned his body parts. As a horrible and deceased scent lifted in the air, I unconsciously felt my breath coming out in fast, rapid motions. I was shaking all over and it felt like I was having an anxiety attack. I distinctly heard Faye's worried voice, felt her arms go around my shoulders...and just before the darkness took over I caught the wolf's foreboding stare. I saw in his eyes something familiar.

I knew who it was.....and...I fainted.

"Peyton, Peyton are you okay!?"

I listened to the shrill voice of Emily-Rose carefully, before I even attempted an answer. She wanted to know if I was...Okay. No Emily. I was definitely NOT okay. Of course, I didn't tell her that. My mind was overwhelmed. Realizing I was lying down, I groaned and lifted my body half-way up.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Where am I?" I asked in confusion. When I opened my eyes everything looked blurry. I saw Emily-rose and I also saw her twin; except, she didn't have a twin.

Emily let out a nervous laugh.

"Peyton you're in our cabin...um are you sure you're okay? When the waterfall carried you away I was so worried...And then Faye came back two hours later with you unconscious...you might have a concussion..." she told me worriedly. I slowly stretched, realizing that I was in a bed. Then, the memories of what I'd just witnessed came rushing back with full force. My eyes widened.

Wolves. Killing. Creepy guys in dark suits. Raphael.

I narrowed my eyes.

"Have you seen Faye?" I asked with urgency. Emily nodded yes.

"She's with the other counselors in their cabin." she replied. I nodded.

I had a bone to pick with her.

With a sense of urgency, I stormed out of our cabin and marched across the wet grass to Faye's. The evening sun was casting a beautiful glow on everything, but I was way too mad to notice.

I was positively . . . Flabbergasted. I didn't understand how she could just drop me off to bed.

They better not tell me I imagined the whole thing, because I didn't have that good of an imagination, sadly, and two: my head still hurt like crazy from where I had that fall.