"What?"

But he continued. "And I was thinking about what I talked with your father about as well."

This time, it was Lyv's heart that beat wildly. "Yes?"

Amory moved so they were laying face to face. He covered both of her hands with his and stared at her intently.

"What is it, Amory?"

"First, what I spoke to your father about. I told him about going back to Dalcaine in a few weeks...well, in two now. Only two more weeks and I am going to have to leave here soon to get back to the port town in time."

"You're not going yet, are you? We just got back and Gideon..."

"But you remember what I said about dragging you with me, right? Your father thought it was a great idea, especially after I had asked him the other question I had for him."

It was then he leaned in to kiss her fingers, then her knuckles, and, finally, on something that had not been on the third finger of her left hand when she went to sleep.

"Amory," she breathed, staring at the ring.

It wasn't anything big and sparkling, but rather a thin platinum band with the slightest of grooves and curves to make it look like interlocking branches.

Perfect. So absolutely and breathtakingly perfect.

"It's nothing special. I have a ring I've been keeping for when I finally found my...the one I wanted by my side. But you will have to travel with me to Dalcaine to get it, all right? And getting married...it doesn't have to happen soon. I want to wait, actually, because I want both our families to bear witness. And I don't care if its in a temple or in a palace or even on the docks by the water. I just want you.

"So now, Alyvia," Amory said, his eyes never leaving her face even though she was staring at the ring. "I have to ask you my next question. It's one I didn't realize I wanted to ask you for as long as I have. So, would a princess of Escarral ever consider marrying an emissary and mapmaker from Dalcaine?"

Lyv's eyes left the ring for a moment to look up at him. "Amory," she whispered. "What kind of question is that?"

"The kind of question I am hoping you will answer soon, but I have to tell you something else, too..."

So, she leaned forward, both hands cradling his face, and kissed him long and slow and full of promises of a future. "Of course, I will," she answered after, tears forming in her eyes.

He closed his eyes then, leaning forward to press his forehead against hers before kissing her again. She couldn't help but laugh at the happiness that seeped from every cell of his being and washed over her.

"Mother above, what did my father say when you asked?" she grinned. "He has said to me before that I am to never be married just so he could keep me around."

But Amory wasn't finished. "There is something else, Lyv. I need..."

"And I am fine with waiting. It will be after the peace treaty. I want to go with you to Dalcaine, meet your parents and siblings. But then you are going to have to come back here, too, so you can meet my sisters and their families."

"Lyv."

This time, she didn't speak, not with how serious he sounded then. Yet his eyes were a little hesitant and even...nervous?

"What Gideon said to me when we got back." That nervousness was back, a vulnerability she hadn't seen in him until now. "Just know I am the same. You know me, all right? What I really am..."