Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Hidden within the shadow of a pillar, Alyvia began to crept quietly along the marble floor, trying to remain unnoticed by the dozens of people who had surrounded the buffet table. She had her sights set on one thing as she kept her head down, dodging the curious eyes of the reception guests as best she could.

The plate of food had been stashed behind the massive sculpture, set aside especially for her by one of the cooks. She knew there wouldn't be much time for eating as the royal family greeted every wedding guest that came into the ballroom, so she had to make it worth it.

Sneaking away had been easy, only being caught by her father, who gave her a slight nod and smile after he rolled his eyes, turning his attention back to the guests. Why she was the only one of the king and queen's four daughters present for the welcoming of guests, she didn't understand.

Not until she grabbed her plate in one hand and held her skirts, dodged around a few more wedding guests and sculptures, and quickly and quietly opened one door off the ballroom to slip inside the shadowed storage room.

Instantly, she was caught.

"Well, if it isn't the little sister we all knew would be sneaking off within the first hour of the party."

Lyv paused, still facing the now closed door, and frowned. She'd been expecting peace and quiet, not...

Turning, she spotted all three of her sisters and their husbands, grinning at her. Ada, the Lady of Ceron, had a few tendrils of her blonde hair falling from its pins, her plate balanced on her large stomach, round with her third child. Her husband, Gyver, was in conversation with the Lord of Oria and Sora's husband, Bridger.

The lords were speaking about their shared border along Kesyn Lake and the Orobridge Mountains at the northern part of the continent, which was under Ceron control. Though Ceron had a smaller population, it had the most land because of the mountain range. Oria's more flat, grassy lands were used for farming and transported the produce all across Escarral. Whispers had drifted through both territories about movement in the mountains, though nothing was ever known about what kind of movement it was. Even the southern land of Inder, with vast forests in its eastern parts and rolling hills to the west, caught wind of the whispers.

The lords and ladies had uncovered a sofa and a few chairs to situate around a low-lying table they used to prop their feet up on. The sheets that had covered them were tossed over the stacked chairs against the wall by the door. The small area of the room was lit by a dozen candles pulled out of a random crate.

Rhea, the bride, was sitting by her new husband Davon, Lord of Inder, her half-eaten plate sitting on her lap and still in her wedding gown. "We were wondering how long it would take you to come."

"Guess I'm not the only one who persuaded the cook to leave me something to eat before it was all gone," Lyv smiled as she walked to sit down on the sofa beside her. "Where have all of my nieces and nephews disappeared to?"

"We stole Tulia and had her take them up for bed," Sora sighed with relief. "The boys were getting too rowdy sitting through the ceremony."

"I wasn't the one who wished it to be over two hours long," Rhea said to her. "You know how Mother is." She turned to look at Lyv. "You're next, Lyv, so be prepared for the whole wedding fiasco."

Lyv smiled sweetly as she stabbed a piece of seasoned beef with her fork. "The three Lords of Escarral have now been taken after you married my last chance at a happy marriage."