Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Amory knew something was wrong when he woke early the next morning just as the sun began to rise. Lyv was laying beside him, holding tightly to one of his hands with both of hers, just staring at him. Her eyes were red, not from crying but rather a lack of sleep.

"Why haven't you slept?" he asked, pulling her closer.

She swallowed hard, pressing her lips together. "I talked with my father last night...and then I found my mother. What she said..."

His arms tightened around her protectively. "What?"

"All I know is we are running out of time. She knows about us...and how being with you will disrupt her plans for me."

"The whole Jai situation?"

Lyv nodded. She'd told him all about her mother's plans for her seduction of Jai to gain more access to Dalcaine. At first, it seemed ridiculous...but then he realized who he was really dealing with. Jai would fall for her in an instant. Anyone would. Hell, he had tried not to himself.

"The rebellion in general," she whispered then. "I think...well, we really are running out of time."

Reaching up with the hand she wasn't holding, he pushed her hair back behind her ear. "We will find Gideon later today and make plans, all right? But for now, get some sleep, all right?"

And she did, not waking until almost noon. By that time, Amory had gotten up, bathed, and put on a fresh set of clothes. Tulia had greeted him at the door with breakfast. The lady's maid had given him a knowing smile and a warning about being careful with her - with the princess's heart and their love-making. They had to be more careful. He would go to an apothecary to pick up a tonic for himself as soon as he could manage.

Lyv woke just as he was turning to the next chapter of one of the many books she had. Her hand had stretched out only to meet cold sheets but saw him a moment later, stretched out on the couch in her personal library just through one archway of her rooms.

She looked a lot better but could still get more sleep. They had things they had to do, though, she'd told him when he told her to sleep more, starting with finding Gideon.

Lyv stood from the bed, stretched her arms above her head, and he noticed it was his tunic she'd been wearing. He couldn't help but smile as she walked over to him and ran her fingers through his hair.

"Give me a little while to get ready," she told him, and leaned down to press a kiss to his lips. "I see Tulia brought lunch."

"And breakfast, but you were not up then, so I ate it all. Couldn't let it go to waste, could I? She did give me a particular look and word of warning when I answered the door..."

"She knew you were here all yesterday afternoon and through the night," she grinned. "She might have gotten an eyeful of you, too, which was my fault, I must admit. No doubt the girls down in the kitchens know now how lucky I am."

Amory wrapped one arm around her legs, pulling her closer to playfully nip at her stomach. "Go get ready, princess. Like you said, we have a lot to do today."

She leaned down to kiss him quickly once more, teasing him with the sway of her hips as she walked away...and when she pulled off the tunic before reaching the doors of the bath. He kept himself chained to the sofa, though, and didn't know how he managed to.

***

The lunch crowd at the Rose Stem Tavern was almost completely gone when they arrived an hour later. There was only one male at the bar, one they knew and who was trying and failing at sweet-talking Jules, who was drying clean tankards.