Chapter 21

Chapter 21

The body of one of the guardsmen Lyv regularly trained with was found on the front steps of the palace, a piece of parchment pinned to his tunic. She had been the one to find him, followed by Balian and the king, who had both been following her down from her father's office after their early morning meeting.

Here is just one of your traitors, the parchment read. The rest will follow once we have them.

"Mother above," her father breathed, pulling Lyv close to his side.

He yelled for the other guardsmen, who quickly came through the front doors and down from their posts in the hallways, but Lyv barely heard the commotion. The guardsman, Arnaud, had been a friend of not only Balian, but her as well. She had helped his wife give birth to their twin boys. Now those boys wouldn't have a father.

One of your traitors.

No, Arnaud loved and respected his king. There was no way he could have been a traitor to the crown. There must have been some kind of mistake that took the life of an innocent man...

A hand wrapped gently around her arm. "Lyv."

She watched as the body was taken away, saw her mother standing off in one corridor, flanked by two of her lady's maids, before she whirled and disappeared down the hallway.

"...want you to take her with you today while we search for the murderer," her father was saying when she finally broke from her trance as the front doors slammed shut.

Somehow, Amory and Gideon were there then, Amory watching her closely and still gently holding onto her arm.

"We're going up to a village in Ceron for today and tomorrow," Amory told him, still looking at her.

"Take her then. And keep her safe."

Both Amory and Gideon escorted Lyv up to her rooms, where they packed her a few things in a bag.

"Grab the books under the bed," she said numbly. "I need to get them back to Krish if we're going to the same village or even just passing by."

"All right," Amory nodded, kneeling down to peer under the bed. "Did you know him? The guardsman?"

She couldn't help but hear the sharpness in his tone. "I have known him for years. I even helped his wife deliver their twin boys. They are barely two."

Neither one of the men said a word.

"I don't understand," she whispered, more so to herself. "A traitor?"

Amory and Gideon shared a glance, silently agreeing on something.

"What?" she asked them. "What is it you are not telling me? I have not seen you both in a week's time and yet you are here the morning the body of a guardsman is left in our front foyer. What is going on?"

Another look. Lyv wanted to punch both of them.

"We've been here in the city for the week," Gideon started.

And Amory finished with, "Following rumors of a rebellion brewing amongst the guardsmen and citizens who disagree with your father's plans with allying with Dalcaine. We met with your father and Balian this morning to tell them what we've found."

"That's what you've been keeping from me then, the secret you haven't told. Why didn't you tell me? And don't you dare say it was for my safety. You know I can more than handle myself."