A Broken Man and the Dawn (Blitz)

There's a man looking at the wall, a tear falling down his expressionless face. For every minute he feels older, and like the weight of all was on his shoulders. War and weariness, blood and battle, it felt like it was all on him. He sighed as he played the recording once more, listening carefully to every single word. "Hey guys... I'm-... I'm in kind of a tight spot right now, and I don't really see a way out of this." the sound of gunfire and screams echoed throughout the empty room. "So I just wanted to say thanks. For everything." the man leaned back in his chair, listening. He fiddled with the dog-tags in his hand. His cheeks were streaked with the tears that hadn't stopped falling, not since he had gotten the recording. "And Elias... I really wish I could come home to you but... The memory of you feels like home to me. Wherever I am... wherever my mind wanders it always finds its way back to you." Blitz's breathing started becoming jagged at the mention of his name. "My love... You mean so much to me. You're the last thing I wanna see. I want you to know that you were always the thought I woke up to, and the thought I fell asleep to. You made me feel so happy and cared for. If you thought differently, well, you're wrong. I love you... please never forget that."  There was a slight creaking as the door opened, but Blitz didn't notice. What hurt the most was her talking in the past tense. "If I make it... which let's be honest, I wont... but if I do.... I promise, I'll be coming home to you. I love you" A new scream echoed throughout the room, making the person who entered wince. Bullets could be heard before the recording stopped.

Bandit shook his head as he watched the younger operator stare at the wall and play the recording again. He walked up to Blitz, putting a hand on his shoulder. Blitz, startled, grabbed his hand and spun around, twisted his arm and made Bandit lie on the floor. "Gah, Kötz was zum Teufel. (What the hell)" Bandit exclaimed making Blitz immediately let go of his arm, then helping him up. "Brunsmeier! Es tut mir so leid! (I am so sorry!)" Blitz hurriedly excused himself, that's when he realized that his face was wet. He quickly dried his tears when Ash walked into the room. "What happened?" she asked. "Nothing..." Bandit said. Ash was about to say something before she heard the recording in the background. "Are you still listening to that? How many times have you played it?" she asked while she walked up to the table where the phone laid. She paused it, looking at Blitz for an answer. He just shrugged at her. "When was the last time you ate anything?" she asked and frowned. He replied with yet another shrug. "Come, let's get you some food." she stated, trying to get him to follow her to the kitchen. "I'm not hungry." Blitz stated, making Ash sigh. "Nein, Kötz. Reißt euch zusammen! Das bist du nicht. Sie denken, sie würde dies wollen? Für dich zum verhungern Sie sich? Gehen! Essen! (No, Kötz. Pull yourself together. This isn't you. You think she would want this? For you to starve to death? Go! Eat!)" Bandit yelled in his face, taking him by surprise. Blitz opened his mouth to protest but Bandit pointed at the door. "Jetzt. (Now)" he said, making Blitz leave to go to the kitchen. "What did you say to him?" Ash asked Bandit. "Eh... Tough love you know..." he answered. 

A few weeks passed and Blitz almost seemed to be himself again, not that empty shell of a human he was when he only sat in an empty room listening to that recording. Blitz was smiling and joking by the lunch table just as he'd been before. There was only one person who knew that behind that smile, he was falling apart and that was Bandit. One day when Bandit was out for a walk, he saw someone familiar walk towards the base. "(Y/N)?" he called before running towards her. He hugged her, lifting her up and spinning her. "We thought...." he started but was interrupted. "I know, and so did I but... Here I am. Is Elias... Can I see him?" she asked and Bandit smiled at her. "Let's surprise him. Go to his room. I'll make sure he meets you there." He promised before walking towards the dining room. She nodded and made her way to Blitz's room, sitting down on the bed. Nervously, she's fiddling with the hem of her shirt. 

"Dominic!" She heard Blitz call from down the hall. She could hear rapid footsteps approaching, then Bandit dove into the room, closing the door behind him. Bandit, being faster than Blitz, had just enough time to lock the door. "What did you do to send him chasing after you?" she whispered. "I connected one of my CED's (Crude Electrical Device aka Shock Wire) to his chair. He was not happy!" he laughed, a little out of breath. "Brunsmeier. Öffne die Tür oder sonst.... (Open the door, or else...)" Blitz called from the other side whilst banging on the door with his fist. Bandit walked over to the window, opening it. "You can take it from here, right?" Bandit asked as he climbed out the window. (Y/N) nodded, walking over to the door. "Brunsmeier, Ich schwöre bei Gott. (Brunsmeier, I swear to god)" Blitz said before he heard the lock click, indicating that the door was now unlocked. 

Blitz opened the door angrily but quickly stopped in his tracks. "(Y/N)?" he said quietly, not knowing what to do. "Kiss me like you miss me?" she said jokingly, a nervous smile plastered across her lips. For a couple of seconds he just started at her in disbelief. Then, like no time had passed, like this past month never happened, he kissed her with everything he had. Kissed her like there was no tomorrow. When he finally pulled away they were both out of breath. He let his forehead rest against hers, and one of his hands rested on her hip, the other on her cheek.  "I love you (Y/N)." he whispered, only loud enough for her to hear. "I love you too Elias." she said with the biggest smile.