Chapter 1

8 years old, she looked at the skies. From her room, where her window was open.  Her hands lying on the window cill. One day, she'd escape, she promised herself. And she couldn't wait. She just wanted to fly away.

NINE YEARS LATER

She woke up, trying to convince herself that one day things would get better. Her mom was always drunk and her brother was even worse. She was his punching bag whenever he felt angry. Her mother hit her accasionally. One more year, and she'd be 18 years old. Even though she didn't know where to go, she knew she just had to get out of there. Hopefully she'd get a scholarship so she could go and live at a college far and far away. Her grades were good inspite of her life at home. She thought of running away everyday but something always convinced her not to do so. Maybe it was the fact she didn't want to leave her best friend, Elena behind. She ment everything to her, and her life was completely different from hers. She had good parents. Selena was dressed in ripped jeans, a white tank top and a black hoodie over it. She had her rubber bracelets on her wrist. Thankfully, Elena always borrowed her some clothes, and gave to her which she didn't use anymore.

 ''Selena..'' she heard her brother say her name.

She turned around to face him. ''What, you wanna punch me?'' She stared at him.  Selena might have been a top student but she certainly couldn't dress like it. Her dark hair fell onto her shoulders.

''Selena..''

''What do you want?''  She rolled her eyes at him.

''I don't want you to disturb me today when your done at school, mom will be away as always and the guys are coming over. I want some privacy, you got it?''

''Or what, your going to beat me?'' she snapped at him.

''If I have to..''

''Fine, whatever. I'll be at Elena's or something.''  She walked to the kitchen, her mom smoking a cigarette and her hand on her forehead. She was hungover like she usually was. ''Mom, drink this.'' She gave her a glass of water. ''And take this with it..'' She handed her a pill.

''Go to school...now.''

''Mom, drink it.''

''I SAID GO TO SCHOOL!'' She rose up from her seat and slapped her in the face, causing her lip to bleed. She sat back down and Selena took her schoolbag and rushed out of the house. She watched her brother, Jake  get into the car with his friends. She rolled her eyes and walked to school. 

 When she had arrived, she met Elena. Her dark long hair, falling down to her back. ''Hey, how was your morning?''

''Oh ya know, a smack in the face always wakes you up..''

''Oh yeah, that bleeding lip says it all. Are you alright?'' She touched the blood on Selena's face.

''I'm fine,'' she assured Elena, moving her hand away.

''You should clean the blood off before class,'' she suggested.

''I will..'' Selena smiled and she touched Elena's shoulder. 

''Can we hang out after school, it's just that Jake doesn't want to be bothered. You know how he is..''

''Yeah, a first class scumbag ... and sure, I don't want you alone anyway but I can't for long, I'm sorry.''

Selena looked down knowing going home tonight wouldn't be so much fun. It never was. She then tried to lighten up her mood. ''Oh, that's okay and thank you Elena. You couldn't be a better friend.''

''I wish I could be better. I wish I could take it all away, I wish you could live with me. My parents love you.'' She took Selena's hand.

''It's okay Elena, when we graduate everything will be different. I'm sure.'' Elena leaned in to hug her friend then pulled away. Selena hurried up to the bathroom to clean off the blood before she ran off to class.