As Legolas approached, he kept silent. When at last Elladan sat up, he had a slightly predatory grin on his face.

"Can you feel that?" Elladan asked.

Now that he was stilled, Legolas could indeed feel something. It started low and faint beneath his boots, rising to make his toes tingle slightly with its presence. Kneeling and placing his own ear to the cold dirt, Legolas could clearly hear what Elladan spoke of.

Like the distant throbbing of a drumbeat, but with far less irregularity, Legolas listened to the stamping of gigantic feet through the earth. With a long breath he drew himself upright and rocked back on his heels.

"It would appear we have found our quarry then." He remarked, suddenly aware of the itch in his fingers. Too long they had been without the rushing flow of blood that battle always brought. As Legolas reached back and brought his weapon down off its harness for re-stringing, he noted that Elladan was already lightly fingering the hilt of his long, curved sword. He had seen its twin hanging at Elrohir's belt. Even as the two brothers were alike in appearance, they were alike in their fighting style. Legolas had not seen them fight in battle, but he knew from last year's training sessions that the sons of Elrond were likely to be as deadly as Legolas himself.

Standing, Legolas turned behind him to observe forty-five rangers moving steadily in a spread formation through the sparse bracken below. He set two fingers to his lips and gave a short whistle. He saw Strider's head jerk beneath his hood in acknowledgement of the pre-arranged signal. The rangers all came to a silent halt, waiting as Strider moved swiftly towards the scouts to get an update. The entire troupe was on instantly on alert, bows in hand and daggers loosened in their sheaths.

"Hill Trolls." Legolas said on Strider's arrival.

Strider's expression was grim, more so than Legolas would have expected, considering his own anticipation. Elrohir appeared from behind a particularly large crag across the dell and joined them, as did Beringil.

Strider was decisive in his authority and plan of action. "Legolas and Wren take Faolán and move forward to scout out the trolls' location. Elladan, Elrohir, Beringil and I will each be responsible for a party of ten to twelve rangers. We will continue our approach in staggered formation, until updated by one of the scouts.

With Wren at his side and Faolán in tow, Legolas cut a swift path in the direction Elladan had indicated though the narrow passages and uneven terrain of the North Downs. It certainly did not take long to find their quarry. Calling Wren and Faolán over to his side with the shortest of whistles, Legolas knelt in the space between two boulders and pointed. Wren let out a short hiss of breath at the sight.

There were four trolls up ahead on the hillside, ranging in size from juvenile to what was likely a fully-grown bull. They were pulling over some of the few remaining trees. Checking to ensure that they were still downwind, Legolas wrinkled his nose as the foul stench of trolls wafted toward them.

As they watched the trolls lumbering about, Wren said in the quietest of whispers, while continuing to observe the trolls, "Strider's grandfather, Arador, was captured and killed by Hill-trolls the year before Strider was born..."

The tragic statement hung uneasily in the air. Legolas realized that was this was the likely explanation for Strider's muted reaction to the news, Strider would not be one to lightly underestimate the lethal nature of hill trolls.

Faolán indicated to them that he would go and alert the others in a series of hand gestures, his short black hair was plastered to his neck by sweat. Legolas did not think it was entirely to do with the running they had just done. Trolls were a formidable sight by anyone's standards.

With a nod from both Wren and Legolas, the ranger was off, moving as silently across the rocks like a deer. Figuring the others to be no more than five or so minutes behind, Legolas took the opportunity to examine the site for the best possible plan of attack.

"The trolls have the high ground," observed Wren warily.

"Yes, and plenty of well-placed missiles and prospective clubs," Legolas responded, glancing at the gnarled tree trunks and boulders. "Even with the element of surprise, the battle has nowhere to go but upwards, in the direction of the hill and those fine trolls."

Legolas scanned the nearby terrain and his eyes were drawn to a narrow but deep ravine, several hundred yards below them to their right. The remnant of a long dried up river. The perfect place to stage an airborne attack and shower the beasts with arrows from the ledges above on either side, with far less risk of being crushed by one of those enormous feet and grasping hands.

"What are you thinking Legolas...?" Wren interrupted his thoughts, her eyes were wary, she had followed his gaze.

"Trust me," he said as he kissed her head, "Wait here."

"Wait, what-"

But he was already creeping behind the rocks toward the mouth of the ravine. Certainly not the most sensible plan he had ever had and most definitely a dangerous one, but if it worked it would be to their significant advantage. Already the trolls were glancing about with narrowed eyes. A few more yards and he would be both upwind and in sight.

Leaping out from behind the boulders, Legolas stood in clear view of the trolls

"Ai! Thiach uanui a naneth gín gen hamma*!" He shouted, pointing his bow directly at the largest troll. He sincerely hoped they would take the bait. His plan would fail miserably and abruptly, if these particular trolls suddenly found enough wit to pick up the rocks laying nearby and start throwing.

All four of the monstrosities looked at Legolas dully for a moment. Then, the smallest gave a short snort. That brought a roar bellowing forward from the bull troll, and with surprising speed it began barreling down the hill towards Legolas. The other three watched, surprised by the strange little dancing figure in front of them. Legolas realized that he had no choice but leave the three and to turn and run down the steep trail into the ravine to avoid being seized by the bull troll. He sincerely hoped that the Dúnedain were close at hand.

A figure suddenly sprung out from between the jagged rocks as Legolas passed by and began to run alongside him. Startled, Legolas turned his head in mid-stride and was faced with the irate face of his wife, although she was barely managing to keep pace with the agile elf.

"Trust you?! When you do something like that? Are you out of your age-old mind?"

"Wren, how- what-"

"Exactly. What were you thinking?!"

He cursed. "We needed to move the battleground!"

They were sprinting down the hillside, leaping over rocks and dodging boulders, their hair flying out behind them.

"Perhaps that's a plan you should have discussed with you wife, before you executed it!"

"I- But- For Valar's sake, I am faster than you!"

"On the upside, all four are chasing us now."

He glanced behind them, she was right, they were being pursued by four trolls, and the largest was gaining on them.

He grabbed her arm as he tried to spur her on, almost dragging her. "Run Faster!" he yelled.

-0-0-0-0-0-

*Thiachuanui a naneth gín gen hamma ~ You're ugly and your mother dresses you    

Adventure and marital bliss/disharmony - what more could you want!!! I would love to receive your comments and PLEASE vote on this chapter if you enjoyed it. Each vote and comment help the wider circulation of my story, I really appreciate them!