14: Remember How to Live

The next few weeks passed without incident in Fornost, with patrols going out every morning to scout the foothills around the village for any sign of orcs or other foul creatures. Day after day, the Rangers returned having nothing to report, and life for the Dúnedain took on an almost relaxed feel. The Peredhil twins decided that they were no longer required in the short term and announced that they would return to Rivendell. Strider accompanied them on horseback for business with Elrond, leaving Beringil in charge. In the third week of Strider's departure, when spring should have merged into summer, the skies went as grey as slate, and the winds blew down the mountains with an icy bite, reminiscent of winter and it began to rain without ceasing.

There was nothing to do but wait for the storm to pass and the heavy downpour to stop. Legolas however noticed Wren would frequently brave the outside elements to visit the cabin that he shared with Strider, as she had often done so prior to his absence. The fact that Strider was not there, did not seem to be a deterrent, and Legolas was glad of her company. There did not seem to be a suggestion of impropriety, but Legolas did not know if she was exempt from human customs.

Wren would sit with her legs curled under her on one of the chairs near the fire and beg him to tell her the old stories of elves and battles, as the wind howled around the cabin and the pouring rain battered the roof. He re-lived the Battle of the Five Armies, Wren's face despairing at the conflict of elves and dwarfs, delighting in the destruction of orcs and goblins. Although he was careful to omit extraneous details involving interactions with his father and a particular she-elf. They discussed the finer points of elven history, immortality and eternity. As they talked, Legolas searched her face, but all he saw were inquisitive eyes rather than any lingering pain from conversations past. She in turn educated him about the ancient bloodlines of men, and a significant piece of the mystery regarding Strider's identity and lineage fell into place for Legolas.

After two weeks, he began to worry that he had told her nearly all he knew of the old stories, and so was almost relieved when the rain looked like it was abating. Almost but not quite. The more time he spent with her, the more he started to feel the pain from the past being replaced by something new. Laughter was becoming more commonplace for him. Legolas began to realize that he did not want the storm to end.

However, it was not long before time spent sequestered indoors, began to wreak havoc on the health of the village. When the winter sickness, the common cold, finally presented in full force, it seemed that no household got away without at least one person falling ill. Legolas by virtue of being an elf, had no fear of mortal sickness. It seemed that Wren was immune as well, he noted. Although perhaps not, he worried, after she did not pay him a visit for two days.

He decided to go and check up on her.

He went to the cabin where he knew Wren lived with her mortal mother Nerwen. He was surprised to see Wren open the door in full health.

She greeted him with no hint of her usual humor. It was the first time that Legolas had ever seen worry in her brown eyes.

I was hoping perhaps Strider might be back?" She inquired hopefully. "It's my grandmother. She's been ill for the last few days, but over the past day or so she's taken a turn for the worst..."

Legolas reluctantly shook his head. He had heard of Strider's reputation as a healer as well as a Ranger, and so small wonder that people would turn to him for dire cases. Still, it was unlikely that he would be returning any time soon.

A sudden idea seemed to occur to Wren. "Is there anything you can do, Legolas?"

Legolas was taken aback. He tried to explain that he knew little to nothing about healing. The look of sadness on Wren's face wrenched at his heart as he fumbled his excuses. Unable to disappoint her further, the prince of the Greenwood stepped inside the small thatched home and out of the Fornost rain.