5: Pride and Undergarments

Following the orc attack, many of the Rangers were noticeably more amiable toward the Sindarin elf. His usefulness in a fight had been indisputably proven. Patrols went out into the forest every day, despite the often, freezing weather and biting wind. Legolas was always invited to join the Rangers and he often did so. Legolas for his part watched and listened, absorbing how the Dúnedain interacted with one another and the world around them. When they chanced upon a stag grazing in the underbrush, Legolas was almost surprised to witness the appreciation and reverence with which Daernon treated the creature after he had shot it down with one clean arrow. Living in relative isolation in the Greenwood came with a certain sense of disinterest in mortals, and now Legolas observed with fascination how these Rangers seemed to be almost as attuned with the natural world as his own people.

One afternoon, as the light was beginning to wane, Legolas was returning from patrol with Strider, Asvard, Rodorin, Wren, Daernon and Kaelin. They were about an hour from the village, walking in the eastern part of the forest. Wren was leading the patrol, when she suddenly stiffened and stopped. Legolas heard it too, the unmistakable garble of guttural orc speech. Strider looked questioningly to Wren, as she turned and whispered.

"Orcs ahead, a hundred yards up ahead, two of them, possibly more."

Strider immediately signaled to the Rangers. In pairs, Asvard and Rodorin began to circle the left flank; Daernon and Kaelin went to the right. Strider, Legolas and Wren took the direct path. Stealthily they crept through the forest. They came within sight of three gaunt orcs arguing viciously over a small dead hare. The orcs were absorbed, as they quarreled and snatched at the hare, and did not notice the Ranger's approach. Bows were drawn, the Rangers were approximately twenty yards away on three sides. Through the trees, Strider made eye contact with both flanks, Asvard would take the orc on the left and Daernon the one the right. Legolas had drawn his bow alongside Wren.

"Wren, you take the center-most orc." Strider instructed, his voice barely audible.

The elf was affronted. "I have it covered."

"Wren has the better angle. Take the shot Wren."

She did. Her arrow whistled through the air and thudded into the unsuspecting orc's heart. Almost instantly as the arrow struck, three other bows twanged, each of their arrows was briefly airborne before two of them made their own equally deadly impact. The third arrow sang through the air, a sharp crack was heard as it split the arrow already embedded in the orc's heart in the center of small gathering. The arrow landed as the orc was falling to the ground, its last breath already taken, still clutching the remains of the hare.

Wren looked at Legolas. "Was the second arrow really necessary?" she said, "He was already dead..." Her lip curled up and her eyebrows raised.

"My angle was perfect," said Legolas without making eye contact, unable to keep the petulance from his voice.

"Clearly," she said, "But still unnecessary." The accusation hung in the air.

Strider watched the unfolding confrontation with a grim look on his face.

"Wren, go help the others burn those bodies. Legolas, a word, if you please."

Wren left in the direction of the dead, if still twitching orcs. But not before she stole a backwards glance at the forbidding Ranger Captain and the unrepentant elf.

The walk back to the village was a quiet one. Legolas was, by all appearances, still seething from his reprimand from Strider. The Ranger Captain had told the elf, in no uncertain terms, that he was in charge.  If the elf was not prepared to listen to him, Beringil or any other Ranger that Strider thought fit to lead, then Legolas would have to find another group of Rangers to act as an emissary towards. There was something about the way Strider had said the word 'emissary', that Legolas felt that perhaps Strider remain unconvinced of Legolas's motives for being there.