; summer 2018 mixtape

Start from the beginning

06: UH HUH by Julia Michaels

I'll apologize in advance, but you're about to see a lot of Julia Michaels in this list. I considered reviewing her entire album but truthfully I didn't love enough of it the way I loved a few specific tracks, so I'm just putting them here. This song, y'all. I hated it the first time I heard it. I thought it was so strange and that her voice squeaking wasn't pleasant enough to be effective. But then my friend became obsessed and played it all the time, and now I'm hooked. Listen. If you give it a chance, it's seriously such a tune. The "uh huh"'s become less obnoxious, I promise, and once the music picks up? The piano layered over the synths? Iconic. Truly. It's so good. I'm trying to force this one onto everyone I know and so far no luck, but I just need everyone to recognize the genius of this production. Please listen to it. Please love it.

07: WAKE ME by Bleachers

You all have no idea how hard it was not to just put Bleachers' entire discography on this list. I said it a year ago and I'll say it again: if you're not listening and loving Bleachers yet, what are you doing with your unfulfilled life? And for anyone who doesn't know (because apparently this isn't common knowledge?) Jack Antonoff IS Bleachers. They are one and the same. If I say one, I mean the other as well. Anyway, this is from their first album and it's a love song and I heart it so much, so here it is.

08: IDGAF by Dua Lipa

Dang, seriously I blinked and this song was on top 40 radio. So you've probably heard it before, but I'm a little slower to the party. "New Rules" was so iconic that I just never went looking for more because I was completely satisfied. But here we are, and we are happy. "So I cut you off!" replays in my head daily. I just really admire how Over Boys she seems to be in these singles and hope that's a trend that continues because it's fun to listen to.

09: 2002 by Anne-Marie

Hi, have you HEARD THIS SONG?? I love this so much, I barely have real words or thoughts to share with you. I love the combination of songs in the chorus, I love her voice, I just. Thank you, Ed Sheeran, for another gift of a bop. Thank you, Anne-Marie, for Delivering. Sorry, you'll have to just listen and come up with thoughts yourself because I have none that are coherent.

10: FERRARI by Bebe Rexha

This is the first time I've ever heard something and been like, "Wow, this sounds like Lana del Rey and I like it" (sorry Lana fans). But that's only the first verse. The chorus? It's emo and I love it. You all know I practically worship Bebe, so I'm sure you can understand how excited I am for her full length album, especially after this. Also I know Panic! at the Disco doesn't have Mulholland Drive trademarked or anything but the second she said it in this song I thought it was a nod to "LA Devotee" which is...not true lol. Oh well. Anyway, this emo showstopper is great and you should have listened to it already yesterday.

11: 1950 by King Princess

Do I even know who King Princess is? No. Would I have found this song had Harry not tweeted the lyrics? Absolutely not. But here we are. If you were curious, he tweeted "I love it when we play 1950," which are actually really nice lyrics? Naturally I was going to find the song, and it's great. Her voice is a combination of Bea Miller's and St. Vincent's, so if you dig either of those, here you go.