Chapter 41 (Part 2) Do You Believe In Me

Start from the beginning

Cole stood behind Jane, and when Cole struck the ground, it heralded the end of everything, Cole's head was sliced from his neck.

Jane's hand reached over and covered Xiao Yan's eyes, his deep timbre bounded through his ears.

"Don't look."

Xiao Yan was slow to close his eyes, between the spaces of Jane's fingers Xiao's sight was soaked in nothing but red.

"He... is also a Special Task Force..."
"Yes that means there are Surge spies in the Special Task Force."

The cold lacing Jane's words bit down to the bone. For more than 200 years, citizens of the Shire have lived a comfortable and good life. Now it seemed all that peace and comfort was built on quicksand.

"That Cole was he your comrade?"

"He is my subordinate."

Jane's voice shows no regret.

Xiao Yan swallowed shakily, Jane's decisive attack did not seem as though he were facing a comrade.

"AH...You think I was cruel to my fellow soldier? That I am a monster?"

"You can only assume he was a spy, if that is the case he is no longer your subordinate but your enemy. Treating the enemy with benevolence is not always a wise move.

Xiao Yan's voice is smooth and calm. He wasn't a researcher that had spent his whole life buried in a lab. He knew fist hand how dangerous and desperate the enemy was. He had watched Captain White and Maya fall in front of him. Sympathizing with your enemies was not only extremely naive, it was irresponsible and deadly.

Jane snorted derisively, "We always find a way to justify our cruel nature, but in the end all we can do is try to survive that cruelty."

They had not yet stepped out of the long alleyway when several maglev cars appeared overhead. The door opened and someone dropped down.

Lightning flashed and Xiao tilted his head to look, Jane pushed him away. Xiao's back hit the wall and four Surge assassins fell down. One of them landed on a street lamp and then jumped from there. In front of his eyes were four gazes gleaming with murder.

Jane leveraged himself against the wall beside Xiao Yan, he grabbed the enemy's blade, twisting in the air he seized it. But the narrow alley limits Jane's abilities. He stays in front of Xiao Yan but as he maneuvers his weapon, Xiao is pushed back against the wall. If this continues, his bones will break.

He doesn't see how it happened , but suddenly Jane's nimble hands now held the enemy's blade.

Jane stepped up on the wall again, leaving Xiao Yan with some room. Lifting his weapon, his blade hit the metal of the killer's and the hilt slammed into the assassins face.

"Go!" Jane grabbed Xiao's collar and threw him outside the battle area. Three killers attempted to cross, but Jane intercepted them.

Xiao Yan did not look back. He knew that if Jane's name could be spoken in the same breath as Heine Burton's none of these assassins were his opponent. Their united force only sparked Jane's interest and leveled up his ability. It was a suicide mission.

The blood gathered in Jane's pupils, staining his gaze and sharply slicing through, "You have three seconds."

Before anyone could process the meaning of his words, Jane was in the air and the first killer's head was sliced neatly off. He launched himself from the shoulders of his first victim, his blade trained at the second killer. The second enemy attempted to dodge, but it was futile. Jane's sword spilt his head open and the third killer tried to attack, but time was up. The sword swept through and took off the last killer's heads as it finished its arc.

Jane landed and his eyes swept coldly over the corpses covering the ground. Blood flowed near his feet. He turned away without mercy and looked at Xiao Yan retreating back.