Ch. 12 - Ballad

Brianne's POV

Mister Schue walked in.

He took the same marker I used and wrote on the board.

"Ballad." He said. "From Middle English, bollard. Who knows what this word means?"

"It's a male duck." Brittany said.

Mister Schue looked at her weirdly, "Kurt."

"A ballad is a love song." Kurt answered.

"Sometimes, but they don't always express love... Ballads are stories set to music. Which is why the perfect storm of self-expression. Stories in music are the way we express feelings that we can't get out any other way. Okay, sectionals are in a few weeks. There's a new rule this year, we have to perform a ballad." Mister Schuester pointed to the board.

"Looks like my weekly letter to the Ohio Show Choir Committee finally paid off." Rachel smiled at Puck who stared at her annoyingly.

"Okay so here is our assignment for the week. I'm gonna pair you off and I want you to pick a ballad to sing to your partner. Look them right in the eye, find the emotion you want to express and make them feel it." Mister Schue did hand gestures.

"I pick Quinn." Finn said.

Jayda rolled her eyes.

"Oh no no no no. To easy." Mister Schue said. "Your partners will be chosen by fate."

The club 'ooed'.

"Ooo, yeah. I put all your names in this hat. Whoever you choose is your partner."

"I bet there's a magical bunny in that hat." I said.

Everyone laughed.

"That would be awesome if I can sing a ballad to a magical bunny. It'll be like singing to a unicorn."

Everyone, including mister Schuester, laughed again.

"Matt's out sick today. He had to got to the hospital, they found a spider in his ear." Santana said.

"Oh um, I guess I'll put my name in the hat for now." Mister Schue said. "Whose up first?"

Puck got up and grabbed a paper, "Mercedes."

Artie grabbed a paper, "Quinn."

Finn grabbed a paper, "Kurt."

Everyone laughed.

Tina grabbed a paper, "Other Asian."

Mike looked at her weirdly.

"Mmhm, Brittany." Santana smirked.

"James." Crystal rolled her eyes.

I grabbed from the hat. "Jayda!"

"Looks like I get you, Mister Schue." Rachel said, walking up to the piano.

"Maybe we should wait until Matt gets back." Mister Schue said.

"The fates talk, mister Schue." Finn smirked.

Everyone laughed.

"Would you mind clarifying what kind of songs you want us to sing?" Artie asked.

"Why don't you let mister Schuester and I demonstrate? Brad, endless love in b flat please." Rachel said. "It's my favorite duet."

"I really don't think that's an appropriate song, Rachel." Mister Schuester said.

"Why? It's a great song and it's a perfect ballad." Rachel said.