Chapter Twenty Two.

Start from the beginning

"Yes?" I asked my voice thick as I coughed to remove the lump that had suddenly formed in the back of my throat.

Logan didn't say anything as he stood up from behind his desk and walked around it towards me where I sat on the sofa. I watched his movements through my eyelashes until he was crouching down in front of me, one of his hands resting on my knee and the other resting on the arm of the sofa I sat on.

"You need to stop thinking the way you are," Logan told me softly as his brown eyes gazed into my own with a silent plea, "It's not your fault as no one could have known that your father would attack and kill when he did. The pack is more than willing to protect you from you father, it would be an honour to protect you as you are the Luna without you I would be nothing which in turn would affect the pack which would also become nothing if it wasn't for you."

"I can't stop seeing their faces." I whispered to Logan knowing he would know who I was talking about.

"I know," he hushed gently, "but Clara and James wouldn't want you to suffer, they are together with the moon goddess watching over them and so they are happy."

"But they're dead and it's all my fault." I cired, my lower lips trembling as tears gathered behind my eyes.

"It's not your fault." Logan growled lowly as he closed his eyes to calm himself down.

I bit my lower lip as I unwrapped my legs from under me so that I could sit on the edge of the sofa and wrap my arms tightly around Logan's broad shoulders. I hugged him tightly as if he would disappear if I didn't. My face buried in Logan's shoulder as I silently cried into him for the two lost teenagers who had been unfairly taken from us to soon. Logan's arms were around me instantly as he pulled my forward until I sat in his lap with his legs crossed and my legs straddling his hips.

It was silent as I cried into Logan who held me tightly to him; every time I hiccupped he would gently squeeze me reassuring me that he was there for me. My wolf was slowly reacting to his touch until I could once again feel her inside the back of my head just as I had once I had shifted. She had come out of her shell and I could tell that she was back to being there with me. She wasn't the same as she once had been but she was almost there. I knew that with Logan by our side she would soon become herself once again.

"Esme," Logan spoke my name softly once again.

I pulled myself away from his shoulder so that I could look at him, "Logan."

He reached up and gently took my face in his hands so that he could wipe away the tears from under my eyes with the pads of his thumb before he spoke softly to me, "I will do everything I can to protect you. You're my mate, my Luna and someday my wife and the mother of our children and I will never let anything happen to you."

My heart rate increased with each word he said until it felt like it was going to explode in my chest as my wolf was soaring at his declaration and I knew then the intensity of my feelings for Logan and the words seemed to tumble out of my mouth before I could stop myself, "I love you."

The room was silent and my already pounding heart now beat painfully against my ribs as I waited for Logan to reply. The silencing was almost defining the small space of the office and I began to panic as I realised I meant every word that I had said. I blushed a deep shade of pink.

I had known before my shift that I was slowly falling in love with Logan and my wolf had only seemed to intensify my feelings for Logan when we first came into contact with Logan as one. The situation in which I was telling Logan that I loved him could have been better, more romantic. I was slowly regretting the way in which I had told him but it didn't mean that I regretted telling him what I felt.