04. War I shall Raise

Just like avoiding the plague, the student body moved aside making a path as my friends and I stepped into the school halls. I could see an imaginary red carpet laid for us amidst whispers and quick glances on our way. Whitney's cold glare stood out the most in the crowd. Her minions were imitating her though it wasn't as strong as hers, fear was evident in their eyes.

Chin up, walk straight and smile, I remembered her telling me. I did exactly what she told me but with a smile which was meant for people to be packaged to Siberia. Away from me.

We parted our ways when reaching the centre of the hall which directed us to different wings of the school. Faye and I went to the west wing where our lockers were located while Luna and Cleon went to the east wing.

I opened my locker and grabbed the books for the first period: physics. I mentally groaned. Monday mornings plus first period physics, not a good combination at all. The management sucks at this school.

"Will you leave me alone now?" the all too familiar voice of the junior made me sigh in frustration. But the girl didn't see it since I was facing the locker. I closed it gracefully and turned around to be met by a five foot four brunette who looked at me with pleading eyes.

"Definitely sweetheart but one more day and then BAM! You're free."

"But-"

"Is it just me or do you want to be exposed, Lucy?" my cold smile made her cringe. Faye had joined in after taking her books, her face void of any emotion.

"Fine, just one day and like you promised I want my pictures tomorrow. Or else I won't scruple to reveal your evil plans to Cleon, Astrid," he voice turned louder as did her confidence after every every word. She seemed to have grown a body spine by the weekend, foolish girl didn't think twice at the threesome though. I gave her a sickly sweet smile.

"Darling, I don't take warnings lightly and you sure know where you stand in here. Either you shut that gutter of yours or I won't scruple to expose your pictures to the whole school, do you understand?" my warning made her cower in fear, panic palpable in her now pale skin, that's right, just the emotion I was waiting for.

"Yes, please I-I'm sorry."

"Good, open your locker and you will find a sticky note which describes your act today. Best of luck!" I said in a fake chirpy voice. Lucy hurried away as I turned to Faye who sighed at me.

"What?"

"You know this is blackmail Astrid."

"What are you speaking about? This is barter system little Fae, you wouldn't understand these since you are too little," I said coolly.

"I'm older to you by nine months ten days and these aren't items to be exchanged Astrid, that girl's life depends on this-this stupid plan of yours," she sighed in frustration and I could sense a fight stirring between the two of us. We rarely fight and when we do, it always ends disastrously.

"You are too naive to understand the complications in life Fae, there ain't any tooth fairies and santa claus, it's child play, a figment of imagination and that is not life. This is. Can't you see I'm trying to help Clio from-"

"From what exactly Astrid?"

"Hurt, I'm saving her from getting hurt," I answered to which she chuckled, humorlessly. My temper was rising gradually with every passing second.

"Oh really? Do you think she isn't hurt already? Well, If you don't, then sorry to break your bubble because she is."

"I know, but it's worth in the long run. I'm not talking about petty infactuations Fae, before her feelings grow stronger into-into," I stopped abruptly.