6.3

6.3
( the great escape. )

☆ ★ ☆

iris

There's a window in her room.

She can't believe that only now, after several minutes of thoughtful silence and stillness (any movement at all makes the rope burn against the skin of her wrists, the same feeling of your thighs chaffing uncomfortably), is she finally noticing it.

Bracing her exhausted body for the movement, Iris sucks in a deep breath, and then wriggles and squirms her way down the bed. The covers ride across the mattress with her, and she brings her jacket up around her ribs as she slides her body across bed. When she's close enough, she stretches out her bad leg even though it's aching terribly, and sticks the toe of her boot between the slats in the blinds, pulling them up to reveal only darkness beyond.

"If you can hear me, I need you to come in here as soon as possible. Cyrus is planning a mass suicide," she says, clearly, tilting onto one side so the microphone in her back pocket can hear her voice. "I can try and get the women down to the tunnel, but I need to know when you're coming." She repeats herself, making sure her voice is loud and clear. Every few seconds she twists her head and pauses, listening, waiting, for footsteps to reveal someone coming to check on her.

Then, as she goes to repeat herself for the fifth time, a red light from a laser glints through the window and reaches the opposite wall.

She almost lets out a whoop of glee, but instead settles for a grin and a, "Nice one, guys. Can you hear me?"

The light glides up and down, nodding.

"Okay, okay, I got you," she breathes. "We need you to get in here. And soon." The laser nods at her. She breathes a sigh of relief, heart blossoming with love for whoever's at the other end of their system of communication. "What time are you gonna come?"

The laser blinks off, then back on, and then off, until it's flashed at her three times. "Three am?" she asks. It goes up and down again, nodding. "Understood. Spencer — I mean, Doctor Spencer Reid is somewhere on the first floor with Cyrus, I believe. He could be in the tunnels, but that's unlikely. I believe he has a radio, so you should know his location." She breathes deeply, closing her eyes and taking a second to gather her thoughts. She has so much to say, and so little time. "And please remember, there are children here."

Heard easily on the wooden flooring outside, footsteps approach from outside the room.

"Someone's coming," Iris breathes. She drops her foot away from the blinds, presses her  heels into the bed, and just as the key enters the lock she shoves herself back into her original position with her head against the pillows. Looking as if nothing had ever happened, she watches blankly as Mrs Evanson opens the door and steps inside.