6.2

6.2
( die for the cause. )

☆ ★ ☆

iris

The following morning, they're awoken abruptly by the clank and then creak of the door to their cell as it opens. They're dragged upright and Iris only has a few seconds to grab her crutches before they're pulled into the tunnels.

They're lead in a different direction and down a different route than the one they travelled yesterday. After a few minutes of walking, the tunnel roof rises, allowing them to stand upright, and then the ground slopes upward, before they reach a flight of well-worn, circular stone steps. Iris is shoved up them first and she reaches a partly open wooden door which, when she steps through, leads to the inside of a church.

She and Spencer are made to sit in the back corner, giving them a good view of the rest of the wide room. It isn't like all the churches Iris has been to in her life: it doesn't have grand, ornate archways along the roof, but instead a couple of wooden beams to support a low-hanging ceiling; there are no stained glass windows, just slits of glass set deep into the plain white walls, and most light comes from bulbs built into the ceiling. There is an alter, and a few images and statues positioned around the place, but that's about it. These limited decorations, and the rows of seats, are the only sign of the building actually being a chapel.

Before the service starts, there's a knock at the heavy double door at the back of the chapel and Iris cranes her neck, watching the doors swing open to reveal fresh air, sunlight . . . And Rossi.

He smiles as he calmly walks in. Idly walking up the aisle, he exchanges calm words with cyrus. And only when he stops does he glance around to Iris and Spencer. Keeping up the act of not being FBI, he says nor does anything, and instead walks back to the door with Cyrus. They shake hands, and then he makes his leave.

"What was that about?' Spencer hisses.

"I told you. The team know we're here," Iris answers. "And it's basic stuff — Hostage Negotiation 101: build trust. He's probably trying to start some kind of dialogue between these guys, and the officers outside."

Spencer nods, looking back at the doors closing gradually behind Rossi's back. "Those doors lead outside. We could run, and maybe get out." But the doors close with a soft boom, and are bolted shut. "Never mind," Spencer sighs out in defeat.

"Too many guns, anyway." Iris huffs. "You're talking like a victim, not an FBI officer."

"I'm both. Sorry if I fluctuate between them." His voice is sarcastic, but not cold, and the sliver of amusement is refreshing in this time of perpetual tension.