2.4

2.4
( keep in touch. )

☆ ★ ☆

iris

Even though they return far before Iris had told her mother she would be coming back, due to wanting to head straight home after the whole fiasco with Mags and then giving their statements, the night is immensely dark when Spencer walks her up to the open doorway of her hotel. The only light cascades down from those built into the roof of the porch, illuminating everything in a warm, soft glow. Spencer looks practically divine in it, and she's reminded of how pretty he is.

He smiles at her, hands in the pockets of the hoodie Lila let him borrow. He looks incredibly odd, both because it's strange to see him not in his usual attire of dress pants and a button up shirt, but also because he looks as if he's dressed in his pyjamas. Which is, naturally, a strange sight on an LA street.

Wiping her hand across her face, dusting away any remaining tears, Iris returns the grin. "You know," she says softly, "before tonight went to hell, I was having a really good time." She laughs a little. "With you, I mean. Not just the wine — although that was nice."

"Yeah," Spencer replies, his voice quiet and a little bit rough and as warm as the lighting. "Me too." He sighs. "I can't help but wonder, why us? Well, of course, I guess it's the job, but . . . Tonight wasn't supposed to be about the job."

"It's not the job, Spencer. And it's definitely not just us," Iris says. "Everyone in the whole damn world is scared of each other."

He smiles. "That's very wise of you to say."

"Thanks," she chuckles.

Not wanting to go inside, Iris shifts a little from one foot to the other, straightening out her dress with one hand while the other holds her jacket. She tries not to look at Spencer, scared her eyes are going to give away the fear she feels: the fear that she's never going to see him again. That, even after graduating, she's going to end up back in square one: back in Beachwood, struggling to handle her debt and her mother and her own personal struggles.

Entirely involuntarily, she begins to ramble like she always does, eyes darting every but Spencer. "It's stupid, but I really don't wanna go. I mean, I obviously don't wanna leave LA, because it's so beautiful and big and amazing. But — I don't know." She laughs, as if she's said something stupid, which she's about to. "I . . . Well, to be honest, my main problem with leaving is you. We probably won't see each other again, and for some reason that's pretty terrifying, so . . . "

She finally looks up at him, taking in a deep breath as she does so, and her heart caves in her chest at the look in Spencer's eyes. God, he's so immensely beautiful.