Chapter 10:

I found my body naturally leaning in closer and closer to Lily as our lips came into contact. But what happened next took me by surprise.

Lily pulled away sharply rubbing her lips.

"I can't do it Josh, you're a really sweet gut and I mean that, it's just your my brothers best friend and you know how it is. I wouldn't want to hurt him by being with you." She told me apologetically, her words stabbing through my heart and tearing my dreams to pieces in a single moment.

"It's ok..." I lied, pretending not to be too upset by the news that the only girl I could ever imagine myself being with was slowly slipping away, "...I understand that you don't want to hurt James, it's cool", I continued forcing a momentary smile across my face.

"I'm really sorry Josh, really sorry" , she told me, sadness evident in those mystical eyes. I forced myself to smile again, before turning on my heels and beginning to walk towards the door of the house, when again I found my mouth speaking before my mind had given it permission to speak.

"Lily, you might be my best friends sister, and yeah, it might be wrong that I like you and that it might hurt James, but that's a risk that I am willing to take. You see, you have never just been James' kid sister, you have always been something more in my eyes. I just hope that maybe someday you will feel the same about me as I do about you." I confessed to her before restarting my slow track across pool side towards the house.

I found myself slowing down, attempting to stop the tears which were building up in my eyes from coming out as I contemplated everything which had just gone on between Lily and me. Had I really come that close to getting the girl of my dreams? Was I really about to give up on her just like that? I reasoned that I would look at it with a fresh set of eyes in the morning, when I heard a voice call out after me.

"Josh, wait a second" Lily called from across the pool as she ran to catch up with me.

"I'm really sorry Li..." She cut me off as she reached me, placing her arms back around my waist to where they had been moments before hand.

I looked into those beautiful blue eyes, which stared back at me, full of an unseen love that I had never witnessed before.

"You have nothing to be sorry about" She told me as she closed her eyes as slowly began to lean in closer and closer to me as our lips began to touch, and the fireworks in my belly burst.

I felt our lips slowly part after a few short moments of embrace as Lily again pulled her head away from mine. She looked deep into my eyes before whispering something I never imagined I would hear her say.

"That day I feel the same about you? That's today" she whispered close to my ear, in a clear crisp voice, her warm breath running down my neck before we again locked lips.

As we again started to kiss, I was caught off guard by the extreme feelings and chills which were coming over me. My mind was going at a hundred miles an hour while my stomach was filled with butterflies; this was the moment I had waited my whole life for. I allowed myself to fall into natural rhythm with Lily as we both closed our eyes, embracing each other fully in that moment. We paused for breath for just a second, before I pulled her close back into my body as our tongue caressed; never in my wildest dreams would I have thought this would ever happen. We finally came apart as Lily rested her head against mine, staring into my eyes with her blue orbs, I smiled her smile at her locking my fingers between hers.