Chapter 6: [Unedited]

Monday  morning  came  all  too  quickly,  and  with  what  seemed  like  next  to  no  sleep  all  weekend,  it  was  certainly  going  to  be  a  long  day  ahead.  I  wonder  why  they  don’t  make  weekends  longer?  I  could  settle  for  a  four  day  week  and  I’m  fairly  sure  everyone  would  agree  with  me.  Imagine  no  more  Monday  mornings;  the  annoying  alarm  clock  ringing  in  your  ear  or  the  rush  of  pupils  filling  the  corridors  in  a  mad  frenzy  to  revise  for  that  test  they  had  forgotten  about  over  the  weekend;  that  would  be  perfect  but  unfortunately  wasn’t  the  reality.  This  was  prom  week  and  what  that  would  mean  was  that  nothing  about  East  Side  High  was  going  to  be  even  remotely  normal.  Instead  of  the  calm  and  chilled  out  atmosphere  which  usually  filled  the  corridors,  instead  they  were  filled  with  swarms  of  screeching  girls  huddled  in  groups  to  announce  their  prom  dates,  while  the  boys  went  to  outlandish  gestures  to  get  the  girls  attention in hope she’d be with them  for  that  big  day.  It  was  madness! 

I  on  the  other  hand,  now  found  myself  sitting  between  those  four  cold  grey  walls  that  were  Mr  Andrews  history  class,  staring  off  into  space  unconcerned  about  the  drama  of  prom  dates.  Truth  of  the  matter  was  that  the  only  girl  who  I  truly  wanted  to  go  with  had  been  already  taken,  and  while  there  would  no  doubt  be  numerous  dateless  girls  to  settle  on  come  Friday,  none  of  them  were  Lily.  I  hadn’t  heard  from  her  since  the  mysterious  message  on  Sunday  morning,  but  I  hoped  she  was  ok  now;  besides  I’d  see  her  at  lunch  as  usual  I  assumed.

Now  I’m  never  one  to  judge  a  book  by  its  cover,  but  you  can  tell  instantly  that  your  day  is  doomed  when  it  begins  with  that  dreaded  double  history  class.  Heck  on  the  upside,  it  can  only  get  better!  The  door  shut  with  a  boom  as  Mr  Andrews  arrived  into  the  classroom  in  his  usual  manner  of  being  10  minutes  late  and  never  one  to  be  on  time.  He  reminded  me  of  someone  else,  who  just  seconds  later  decided  to  make  a  somewhat  unwelcoming  clutter  as  he  boomed  into  the  room.  Lucas. 

“I  was  speaking  to  Principle  Hammond…” Lucas  began,  only  to  find  himself  cut  off  my  the  hoarse  tone  of  Mr  Andrews  drowning  him  out  before  he  could  continue. 

“I  don’t  want  to  hear  your  excuses  Poole,  that’ll  be  an  after  school  for  you”  he  delightfully  informed  Lucas,  who  had  now  taken  his  seat  next  to  me  and  ceased  to  care  about  anything  that  Mr  Andrews  was  now  saying as  he  went  off  into  his  rehearsed  rant  about  ‘the  importance  of  always  being  punctual’.  Obviously  it  had  never  occurred  to  Mr  Andrews  of  his  hypocrisy  on  such  matters  but  that  never  bothered  him  in  the  slightest,  I  think  he  enjoyed  ruining  what  was  left  of  our  childhood.  As  it  turns  out  Lucas  hadn’t  been  talking  to  Principle  Hammond  at  all,  instead  he  had  been  too  busy  styling  his  hair  to  perfection  in  the  bathroom  to  even  hear  the  bell  for  class;  typical.

As  Mr  Andrews  began  his  boring  discussion  about  Henry  VIII and  the  terrible  Tutors, I  found  my  attention  drawn  away  from  him  and  the  dull  depressing  lines  of  desks  which  crowded  the  dark  room,  and  instead  focused  on  the  freedom  which  lay  outside  of  the  window.  Only  four  metres  away  but  yet  it  seemed  so  far.  Anything  was  better  that  sitting  on  this  hard  wooden  chair  which  was  now  causing  my  legs  and  indeed  my  brain  to  fall  asleep,  and  so  instead  I  pictured  myself  back  as  a  child  swinging  from  the  tree  I  could  see  through  the  window.  Although  not  technically  a  child,  rather  14,  when  I  started  East  Side  High,  it  felt  like  a  lifetime  ago  when  Lucas,  James  and  I  had  swung  from  that  very  tree  on  our  first  day  here.  Now,  the  energy  appeared,  for  the  most  part,  sucked  from  our  bones,  instead  replaced  by  the  burden  of  having  to  do  well  in  finals  and  other  pressures  of  life.  Just  once  I  wished  I  could  go  back  to  them  carefree  days;  before  the  tests,  before  the  pressures,  before  everything.  In  less  than  four  months  school  would  be  a  distant  memory  with  College  on  the  horizon.  James,  Lucas  and  I  wouldn’t  swing  from  a  tree  again  or  bunk  off  of  detention  to  see  a  movie,  instead  we  would  be  separated  for  the  first  time  in  our  lives.  It  was  a  scary  thought  to  say  the  least;  I  would  miss  them,  I  would  miss  Lily.