Chapter 4 [Unedited]

Authors Note: Hey guys!! As you can see this chapter is again unedited due to me being busy with exams over this past while, but I hope you like it anyway and I'm sure I will get round to sixing the mistakes at a later date! - Jdot

Chapter 4:

Pulling  up  to  that  grand  house,  my  fears  about  their  mom  appeared  to  ring  true  as  her  silver  Ford  was  not  parked  in  its  usual  spot  beside  the  side  of  the  house;  instead  it  was  nowhere  to  be  seen.  While  this  would  not  have  usually  have  drawn  my  attention  as  she  could  just  have  easily  been  out  at  the  store,  it  was  the  fact  that  James’  car  was  parked  there  which  alluded  me  to  the  fact  that  they  weren’t  expecting  her  home  anytime  soon.  Mrs  Jones  was  a  very  proud  woman;  she  would  never  allow  an  ambulance  to  pick  her  up  no matter  how  bad  her  condition  she  had  to  drive  herself  to  the  hospital.  I  guess  she  liked  the  freedom  of  walking  in  under  her  own  power  as  though  she  was  defying  the  severity  of  her  illness  which  was  consuming  her  more  and  more.  Either  way  the  fact  that  her  car  was  now  missing  was  only  further  indication  that  something  was  up.

The  moonlight  began  to  peer  down  from  between  the  clouds  as  I  knocked  upon  the  heavy  oak  door,  waiting  for  a  response.  I  never  got  it.  Again  I  raised  my  fist  to  the  door  pounding  it  so  as  to  draw  attention  to  the  fact  that  I  was  there,  it  worked  as  soon  a  light  flickered  on  in  the  hallway.   I  could  hear  the  patter  of  shoes  which  grew  stronger  and  stronger  as  they  reached  the  door  before  being  dominated  by  the  sound  of  opening  locks  as  the  metal  chains   moved  like  a  suit  of  armour.  It  seemed  to   me  that  there  were  enough  locks  to  keep  even  the  most  skilful  burglar  out;  I  mean  that  place  was  locked  up  like  Fort  Knox.  This  meant  only  one  of  two  things  to  me;  either  there  really  was  a  criminal  on  the  loose  or  as  a  more  realistic  suspicion  Lily  seen  it  as  her  way  of  being  safe  from  the  outside  world  and  its  impending  dooms.  For  as  long  as  I  could  remember,  ever  time  that  their  mom  had  been   admitted  to  hospital  both  Lily  and  James  had  always  been  afraid  of  being  alone.  I’m  not  sure  if  it  was  the  fear  of  being  alone  in  the  house  or  the  fear  of  being  alone  if  they  lost  their  mom.  Either  way  they  tried  their  best  with  stopping  the  outside  world  seep  into  their  wholesome  house.  As  the  door  of  that  very  house  opened,  I  became  blinded  by  the  bright  light  which  contrasted  harshly  with  the  darkness  of  the  night  which  had  already  began  to  take  hold.  I  recognised  the  friendly  figure  standing  in  the  doorway  instantly;  it  was  Lily.  There  she  stood  in  those  same  grey  jog  bottoms  only  this  time  in  a  beautiful  lime  vest  top  which  hugged  her  delicate  figure  so  that  each  curve  became  even  more  splendid  than  before. On  top  of  the  vest  top  she  was  wearing   a  flour  covered  black  apron  which  hung  from  around  her  neck.   Her  hair  was  in  a  lose  bun  atop  her  head,  while  her  face  gleamed  as  a  smile  graciously  shone  from  it;  with  the  little  bit  of  flour  on  her  right  cheek  only  empathising  her  dimples  even  more  than  before.  Her  beautiful  blue  eyes  were  still  encased  in  a  dull  redness  but  they  still  appeared  to  speak  of  untold  pleasure  in  seeing  me  there.  Lily  really  knew  how  to  make  you  feel  welcomed,  even  without  opening  her  lovely mouth.