CHAPTER THIRTEEN

(Vanessa's Pov)

Time was flying rapidly. Before I knew it, I found myself in October, Halloween not so far away now. I always loved this time of the year. Especially Halloween. Because with the thought of Halloween in my head, I'd immediately think back to my childhood. A time, where happiness wasn't a worry.

Although my mother was quite a religious Christian that didn't believe in participating in anything Halloween related, my father was the opposite. He wasn't religious and I presumed it was mostly because of the family he came from. Neither of his parents were devoted completely to their faith, unlike my mother and her parents. My father was the one who introduced the fun of the celebration into my life. He was the one who I would go shopping with to sometimes buy a costume, or fabrics and bits to make one with him. It was a time we'd spend together, always.

Sometimes, my mother would even give in and against her personal conviction, she'd tag along with my father and I, not dressed up in a costume, but simply to join in on us trick or treating. We'd spend the night as a family, and the memory of the happiness, carefree, love we all felt - it would forever stick with me.

However, shortly after my parents divorce and my father moving to the other side of the country, those nights of joy soon died. They became non-existent. My father was no longer present in my life and on nights of Halloween, I'd reminisce about the past memories, wishing that somehow God would just turn back the time and I'd wake up, with my parents still married and still in-love.

"Hey," An unfamiliar masculine voice brought my out of my depressing thoughts as I left my English lecture. My eyes followed the sound, landing on a face I wasn't familiar with. He was quite tall, over six foot, African-American with a golden skin complexion, studded ears, light brown eyes and dark pink lips. He was handsome, to say the least.

"Hi," I offered a small smile in return. He flashed me one back, a gentle kindness held in his eyes. My gaze trailed across his figure, taking in his attire. A light grey hoodie, paired with matching sweats. On his feet he wore black sneakers, his laces untied.

"Your laces aren't tied." I blurted, unable to help myself. He arched a brow, before following my gaze, pausing on his shoes.

"Ah, shit." He chuckled, bending down to tie them, before straightening and uttering; "Thanks."

"You're welcome." I smiled. "I'm Vanessa."

"Marcus," He introduced. 

"You're in my English lecture, right?" I questioned.

He shook his head, a small smile playing on his lips. "I'm not."

"Oh," I wondered what else had struck him to come over and have a conversation with me out of all people.

"I'm a friend of Jase's, if you're wondering." He shared, almost as if he had read my mind.

"Oh, you're his friend." I trailed off.

"Yeah, I heard you're his new dorm mate?"

"Yeah, that's me." Though a frown had managed to creep onto my lips at the mention of Jase. At first, I thought I was imagining his sudden hostility, and blankness towards me. However, as the week progressed, soon turning into two, I realized I hadn't been. That, he had in-fact gone back to being the rude asshole that was avoiding me.

Why? I had no idea. I assumed it might have been something going on in his personal life that caused him to act edgy towards me and just everyone in general, but then I had walked in on him and Samuel laughing loudly when they were playing his PlayStation. He seemed carefree around Samuel.

I guess this sort of treatment was only reserved for me.

"Hey," Marcus' voice pulled me out of my thoughts, along with the light nudge he gave me. "Where'd you go off to?"