CHAPTER FOUR

(Jase's Pov)

Panting, aware of all the sweat my body had let out, I pushed my falling strands of hair away from my eyes. I could feel the ache pulsing throughout my entire body. My arm muscles felt sore, along with my torso and my entire to legs. Sweat drenched my t-shirt, making me not hesitate in pulling it off.

A whistle of appreciation sounded beside me, and a smirk curled onto my lips. Similar to me, Roxy was in the same state. Sweat beads coated her face and a red flush lingered on her cheeks. Her curvy body, covered by a black sports bra and workout legging, was also covered with noticeable sweat. My eyes took in the sight, winking right back at her.

Wordlessly, the two of us picked up our water bottles, close to finishing and made our way out of the gym. A cool, evening breeze brushed right past me, making me inhale sharply in relief. The wind, although it wasn't cold, felt incredible engulfing my warm body.

A peaceful silence floated in the air between us as we made our way back to campus. My mouth busy consuming the much needed water I had let out during an intense workout session and my damp shirt was held in my free hand. 

"That felt good," Roxy sighed, breaking the silence. I licked my lips, wiping away any excess water droplets and hummed in agreement. There was nothing like a weekly or frequent trip to the gym, enabling us to workout all of our negative emotions.

"Next week, same time." I told her, letting my now empty bottle drop into the bin as we walked by it. "You hungry?"

"Starving," She responded, and so we found our paths switching. Within minutes we were seated in a booth, in our favorite, laid back diner. It was called 'Big Reds', owned by a sweet, sassy, generous African-American woman, Michele. We were most definitely one of her favorite customers as we were regulars and she had somewhat come to know us over time.

"Here's the usual," Michele arrived, carrying two plates of food in her hand. "Double cheese burger, large fries and a strawberry shake for you. Double beef burger, heavy on the ketchup, with a chocolate shake. Enjoy, loves."

With a thanks sent her way, she turned on her heels, a grin curled onto her lips as always. The two of us didn't hesitate to dig into our food, a comfortable silence lingering in the air. We were both drained, not only from the workout, but also with the whole process of moving back onto campus. It was all extremely tiresome. 

I hated it. That damn campus could burn for all I cared. The only use it ever served me was I would be walking away, hopefully with a business degree by the end of this academic year. The people there could suck my ass for all I cared. Every time I walked past someone, new to the college, been there for years, before myself - I'd see only one thing in their eyes.

Judgement. And fucking lots of it.

People thought they knew me. Countless made up stories, not entirely accurate, embraced by a layer or lies, they were spread throughout the entire college grounds, reaching just about everyone's ears. Even Goddamn professors. 

People feared me. I disgusted them. They hated me. They viewed me as nothing more than a criminal that should have stayed behind bars. 

But they didn't know the truth. Not even half of it.

"Jase," Roxy softly called, bringing me out of my thoughts. My jaw was absently clenched at the reminder of the fact several people hated me, yet they didn't even know me. I arched a questioning brow back at her in response.

"Where'd you go off too?" She licked a drop of ketchup away from the corner of her lips. My dick twitched at the sight.

"Nothing, just thinking of stupid shit." I mumbled, shoving a few fries into my mouth. "You got a little something there..."