Balsa

Written by: greenmeadow

Prompt by: missblackskull

---

A/N: I decided not to use the names of Maymay and Edward dahil sa... basahin niyo na lang muna para malaman niyo kung bakit. Hehehe.

With this decision, I'll be using the following names:

Penny as Maymay

Layne as Edward

---

Layne's POV

Operating Room.

I did my best reviving her but to no avail. The fuckin' line just went straight that I felt so hopeless I couldn't help extend her life anymore.

But I didn't stop giving her shocks as I prayed...

'Give her back Lord. Please give her back.'

In an instant, the line started to curve. And it curved. And it curved again. It pointed up and down showing a zigzag line. My heart ripped with joy. And it bleeds of happiness when the zigzag line didn't stop.

She survived. I survived. God made us survived.

As per report, nahulog siya sa water slide ng isang beach resort. I requested for a CT scan and it showed some blood clot that covered her brain stem.

I didn't waste time to schedule an operation. It was urgent to remove such clot before it would cause too much damage on the nerve that connects her spine to her brain. Due to some complications, a rib fracture and other traumatized parts, I almost lost her during surgery, almost, but God was so good He gave her back again. For the second time.

She's my almost first count. My first count of failure. And the feeling was extremely terrible. After the operation I went straight to my house and packed a few stuff. Without informing anyone except the hospital's administration, I headed to the airport.

I need solitude.

I asked the nearest flight available upon reaching the airline counter and bought one.

I was really out of my alertness the whole time since I didn't realize where I headed to until I got the chance to glance at my ticket upon entering the airport's gate - Manila to Cebu 23:40-01:10, Cebu to Tandag 07:40-09:00.

The moment I entered the gate, my flight number was announced on air for boarding. Without hesitation, I boarded myself in. I didn't know what awaits me at my destination but I was sure it was a long, long journey considering it's a connecting flight and waiting time was longer than the travel time of two flights combined.

While waiting for my second flight in Cebu airport, I received calls from my Mom, from some of my friends and from Lucy but I answered no one. I didn't want someone to stop me from getting the peace I needed. Instead, I googled tourist spots in Tandag or nearby Tandag and Tinuy-an waterfalls in Bislig caught my utmost interest.

Naghintay na ako ng mahigit anim na oras for my flight from Cebu to Tandag ngunit nadelay pa ito. Nakaalis ang eroplano ng 10:30am. Pagdating ko sa Bislig proper, I took my lunch sa isa sa mga naghilerang karinderya malapit sa airport. Ang sarap din pala makapag-getaway ng wala sa plano. Nakakapagod man pero ang sarap din pupunta sa isang lugar na walang nakakilala sa iyo. Pagkatapos ng lunch ay sumakay na ako ng bus papuntang Bislig. Halos apat na oras din ang biyahe. At naaaliw ako sa mga kasama kong sakay sa bus, may mga matatanda, bata at kasing edad ko. Ang iba'y natutulog. Ang iba naman kumakanta. Ang iba naman kung makapag-usap parang nasa kabilang baryo ang isa, maingay pero ang sarap pakinggan ng Bisaya kahit wala akong naintindihan. Pagdating ko sa Bislig ay sumakay na naman ako ng habal-habal papuntang Sitio Sote sa Barangay Burboanan.