Chapter 7

Both of them were annoyingly chatty and touchy. Not that Fay was concerned. Anyway, on a completely different topic, why was it so quiet beside her?...

"Ethan!!" Fay complained.

She found him submerged head-first into a book that read ...Thermophronomics?...Thermophormicics?...Themo... Damn! Even the cover of the book made her headache. Unlike someone, Ethan seemed uninterrupted by the girl beside him. Not that she minded a less vocal company. Fay tightened her pony and looked around the class. Not that she didn't enjoy the scenario. Her eyes roamed to the polished clock, it was still too early for the class to start. Not that she didn't prefer the less austere atmosphere. *clears throat**

A tall, black-haired man in his mid-forties walked in the door frame and the class went utt. Dya jumped off the table, blew a kiss towards Matthew and rushed to take a seat beside Fay. Finally!! ... Faven doesn't recall the last time she was this relieved to see a Professor walk in early. Not that she wanted them to be interrupted. *wink**

"Afternoon class, I'm Prof. Joan Plato Burns and I will be handling Mathematics" Mr.Burns corrected his tie and leaned back against the table.

"Now, I'd like to ask a few questions, for which you may quietly raise your hands in response."

Blank faces listened intently with creased eyebrows. There was neither joy nor excitement in those overly focused eyes.

"How many of you have taken Math as your first major?" His tone was sharp. Few hands went up.

"Now, how many of you have career options that concern Math?" Mr. Burns diamond-cut his sentences to the point.

Almost every hand went up except for a few. And 'a few' included Faven.

"What are you doing?! Put your hands up!" Ethan hissed.

"What? why?" Alright, now she's concerned.

"And the rest, please stand up" Mr.Burns continued.

Faven stood up at once, the situation was unclear but she wasn't scared. Her stance was followed by a few hesitant legs.

"Good. Now, kindly move to the last seats giving way to your classmates" Mr. Burns concluded and turned away to get his material.

"Forgive my intrusion Mr. Burns, but may I ask why?" Her question resonated through the walls earning a few gasps.

Mr. Burns froze still and after a long pause, he turned around.

"One question for you Ms...?" he trailed.

"Deandra." Fay informed.

"Right. One question for you Ms. Deandra, Did you happen to raise your hand for either one of my questions?" Mr. Burns asked, even though he already knew the answer.

"No." It did sting, but Fay wasn't ashamed.

"Settled then! Would you please do the honor of escorting yourself and your friends back to where all of you belong?" He gestured contently.

"And again, WHY would I do that?" Faven was beginning to understand the situation and she so dearly hoped she was wrong

Turned out she wasn't...

"Knowledge is power. This quiet place is about to turn into a war zone by the end of the semester. Immense skill in this indominous subject is vital to endure. Survival will be our first instinct. And I just don't want YOU to get caught in a cross-fire." He pointed his finger at the girl who was now beginning to glare at him and continued.