Home

Reaching my house I drove into my drive way and turned off the car. "It's pretty late so I'll drop you home tomorrow. Hope that's okay," I said to Katy. Katy didn't answer me as she looked out the side of the car window, and I raised a brow waiting for a response. Was she really mad at me about what happened? Sighing I reached for the door handle to get out but was stopped by Katy's petite hand. Looking over to Katy, I waited for what she had to say even though I had a clue what the conversation was going to be about. "Emma wait..." Katy said and I could see in her forest green eyes, the fear and guilt. Before she could say anything I said," why don't we talk in my room". Since her fiery red hair started shaking up and down, I'm guessing it meant yes. I got out of my mustang gracefully and purposely strutted to my house. I heard laughter behind me so I swayed my hips more dramatically. Now Katy was hunched over laughing. I smirked knowing I eased the tension a little. Opening the door I was met face to face with my mother. She was 5'8 like me with dark raven hair. I stared into her angry piercing blue eyes waiting for her to speak. "Where were you?" she finally said after calming down. "I was at the pack house, Colton was having a party," I stated. I saw her visibly relax a little at the mention of my brother and I rolled my eyes. Ever since my father died when I was 15 our family was devastated. We moved out of the pack house to lessen the pain, but my brother remained since he had to be the Alpha. My mom went through a bad depression, the first two years, and she went into denial that my dad was dead. Once she finally accepted his death, she started to somewhat move on, but everything reminded her of him. I can still remember the pained expression she gives me sometimes when she looks into my eyes. I resembled my mom but my blue-grey eyes resembled my father. It was a good thing Colton stayed at the pack house because he was a spitting image of my dad, except for his eyes. My mom would sometimes secretly cry after Colton visits, but I let her have her moments since he was her mate and stuff. Snapping out of my thoughts my mom said," well you tell him to be careful, and to say hey, next time you see him." Scolding me for good measures she said hi to Katy and went back to the living room. Running upstairs I go into my room and plop onto my bed, while Katy sits on my beanbag. We look at each other for a second then burst into laughter. "My mom can be so dramatic," I said to Katy. Katy replies," I know did you see the look on her face when she opened the door." I laughed at Katy's impersonation of my mom's face and said," at least she didn't get suspicious as to why we came back so early." After that comment all went quiet and Katy put on a somber expression. A few minutes later Katy replied,"thanks for helping me back there at the party." She said it so quietly that if it wasn't for my wolf hearing, I wouldn't have heard her at all. I sighed suddenly feeling exhausted and replied," it's okay Katy I would never let anyone hurt you. Especially if I have anything to do with it."Katy, now crying said," that's the thing Emma you're not always going to be there to protect me. What, what if you weren't there, he was too strong and I couldn't push him off me. What if something happened," she said the last part in a whisper. Katy was extremely sensitive about these things, especially since her older sister was raped and killed by a rogue. Her family never spoke of the incident, but it traumatized Katy in a way. I tugged her onto my bed and hugged her while wiping a tear off her face. I knew what she said was right, and I just hope she finds her mate soon so he can protect her when I'm not there. I combed my fingers through my hair frustrated, why did we have to wait until we were eighteen to get our mates. I already turned eighteen and still haven't found my mate, but Katy's birthday wasn't for another month and some change. I comforted Katy and told her we would talk about this in the morning. Since it was late we decided to go to sleep. By the time I finished my shower my eyes were droopy. Jumping into my covers I relaxed ready to fall asleep. Before I could Katy popped her head in and said,"thanks for comforting me and goodnight." I replied," that's what best friends are for now go to sleep." Playfully throwing a pillow at Katy's head, she ducked and went back to the guestroom down the hall. Now that she was gone I fell into a blissful sleep.