Chapter 57 (Zain and Malik)

Start from the beginning

She muffled the cries that escaped her mouth with a hand over her mouth. Tears clouded her vision and the only thing her brain kept on playing like a broken record was what he told her. Her heart clenched and she quickly left the room without turning back. She heard him calling out her name but she couldn't stop herself from leaving. She quickly unlocked her car and got inside with no intention of starting the ignition,she placed her head on the steering wheel and cried her heart out until there were no tears left to cry.
*********************
Grabbing her bag and locking the car,she dragged her tired legs into the house. She didn't speak to anyone and headed straight to her room. She was tired physically,mentally and emotionally.
Deciding that a shower will be of help,she stripped and got into the bathroom turning the water to it's maximum. Heading out of the bathroom, she dressed into a pair of soft cotton pajamas and curl into her bed not having any appetite for food. It's taking her mind too long to process what Malik told her about his condition and the most annoying thing is she's got no idea as to what gravity his illness might be.
Suddenly jumping into a sitting position,she grabbed her laptop and turned it on. She quickly typed in 'Traumatic brain injury' clicking on search button.
It took her through reading so much of some medical terms that she never heard of,and that pretty much slowed her brain in processing what she was reading. But from the little she gathered,she could only hope that Malik's case isn't severe.
The sound of shuffling from the door made her look up. It was her mom with Aaliyah behind her.

"Zain you haven't come down to eat. Are you sick?" ,asked her mother as she took a seat by the bedside.

"No I'm okay Mama. Just exhausted from the day with so much going on."

"But you can't starve yourself. Here i brought some food" , Aaliyah chipped in passing her a bowl of oatmeal.

"Thanks lil sis".

"No biggie. So how's Malik? "

The question made her chest tighten.
"He's good. Another surgery awaits him in a week" , Zain answered.

"I'm sorry you had to find out. It must be hard for you but we're always there for you." Their mother cut in.

"But on the bright side,we've got to make plans for the wedding" , Aaliyah chirped in an attempt to clear the air.

"It's not going to be anything grand Aaliyah" , Zain grumbled.

"Urgh you're no fun".

"Never said i was anyway". Zain rolled her eyes.

"Listen you two" , their mother interrupted.

"Your father and Malik's father have made plans about your wedding,it's going to be a small family gathering considering the circumstances. He had told me that Malik had asked them to let you choose what day you would like for the tying of the nuptial knot. What do you think Zain? ".

"I think this friday will be just fine Mama,immidiately after friday congregational prayers".

"That sounds like a plan. I will talk to your father to hear his take on this."

"Thank you Mama ".
Zain muttered shoving a spoonful in her mouth earning her a snort from Aaliyah.

"What's with you?"
Zain asked throwing her hands in the air.

"Nothing I'm just happy for you".
Aaliyah gushed clapping her hands together.

********************
Zain didn't get to go back to the hospital for the next few days as she was busy with Aaliyah getting her hair and henna done which by the way Aaliyah and Munira had insisted she does.

"I told you two this is a bad idea. I haven't seen Malik for two days now, he'll think i have left him ."
Zain complained washing the henna off her hand.