The Stonewall Riots

June 28, 1969 - July 1, 1969.

The Stonewall Riots, also known as the Stonewall Uprising, was a violent LGBTQ+ protest against the police.

June 28, 1969 the New York Police Department (NYPD) raided the Stonewall Inn, a gay club in Greenwich Village, New York City. The NYPD kicked out patrons and employees of the Stonewall Inn which lead to the six days of protests.

The Beginning of the Stonewall Riots • Evidence from History.com

"Armed with a warrant, police officers entered the club, roughed up patrons, and, finding bootlegged alcohol, arrested 13 people, including employees and people violating the state's gender-appropriate clothing statute... Fed up with constant police harassment and social discrimination, angry patrons and neighborhood residents hung around outside of the bar... an officer hit a lesbian over the head as he forced her into the paddy wagon — she shouted to onlookers to act, inciting the crowd to begin throw pennies, bottles, cobble stones, and other objects at the police... Within minutes, a full-blown riot involving hundreds of people began. The police, a few prisoners, and a Village Voice writer barricaded themselves in the bar, which the mob attempted to set on fire after breaching the barricade repeatedly..."

Why the Stonewall Riots are important • Evidence from History.com

"(The riots were) a galvanizing force for LGBT political activism, leading to numerous gay rights organizations"

The Stonewall Inn is now a national monument, designated by President Barack Obama in 2016.